Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Bad Knock LS1

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 03:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Knock LS1

Ok, I have a '98 Z28. I've looked for a while around the forums and can't find exactly what this is. I have a knock...actualy two. One is deep sounding and the other is a tick in the valvetrain. The valvetrain one is odd because I've looked at the driverside rocker arms and pushrod, they look fine. I check again and the noise seemed to move to the passenger side. But I'm not worried about that one because I'm getting all new valvetrain soon. The deep knock consernes me though. It doesn't seem to go with the RPM's but its consistent. They both actualy seemed to disappear for a moment when I put it in drive, but the tick came back when I put it in park. The tick was too loud for me to hear so I couldn't hear what the deep one did. While I was listining to the knock earlier my car jus died. Now it won't start. But I don't think it's locked up cus it'll turn for sec and stop. Did I break a valve? I'm completely lost.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Teching In

OK, Nvm. The battery died outta no were but I still have the two knocks. The tick one sounds like its a torque converter bolt that came loose and fell out, but that deep knock I can't pin point. When Im lookin down at the motor it sounds like its up top but when I get low it sounds like it's down there too. The deep knock rises with RPM's but It doesn't realy sound consistent. Please help!
Old 04-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Teching In

Update: The deep knock gets very quiet when in drive(even when reved, but gets louder at about 3k rpms) but still fairly loud in reverse. Park and neutral are the same loudness.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:25 PM
Teching In

Exclamation

Does no one know?
Old 04-04-2009, 06:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well,

1. You need to chill the **** out. You just asked this question 2 hours ago and have posted four times.

2. You posted in the wrong section. You posted in the Gen IV section. Which has nothing to do with your Gen III LS1.

3. This sounds like a problem much better handled in person ("What is this sound?" threads normally are). But, if you must have Internet help, at least get a video of the sound.

Quick Reply: Bad Knock LS1