Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Wiseco piston rings

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiseco piston rings

I have piston ring set from wiseco. I was going to set end gaps but ran in to an issue with what ring is the top and second.
In there install instructions it says nothing other than which way the bevel is supposed to be. I always thought the ring with the dot is the top. The only ptoblem is the bevel is the wrong way. The bevel is right for the second ring with the dot up but not the top ring. Only one ring is marked and other is not. I can flip the other ring that is not marked so the bevel can be right for the top or second ring. Just kind of confussed on where the marked ring is supposed to go. Top or second?Thanks Louis
Old 04-14-2009, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The rings I got had "HF" for hell fires at the end of the PN#. The hard ring (shiny) without the dot is the top ring. The darker, soft ring with the dot is the second ring. The dot on the second ring faces up. I cant remember which way the bevel faces on the second ring but the bevel of the upper ring is OPPOSITE of what it is on the second. Wiseco has instructions but they are a bit cryptic. After figuring out the orientation of the rings, their instructions made perfect sense! LOL!

Here's the link: http://www.wiseco.com/PDFs/Manuals/RingEndGap.pdf

Last edited by DAVESS02; 04-14-2009 at 11:35 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:47 AM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by lhaitzss
I have piston ring set from wiseco. I was going to set end gaps but ran in to an issue with what ring is the top and second.
In there install instructions it says nothing other than which way the bevel is supposed to be. I always thought the ring with the dot is the top. The only ptoblem is the bevel is the wrong way. The bevel is right for the second ring with the dot up but not the top ring. Only one ring is marked and other is not. I can flip the other ring that is not marked so the bevel can be right for the top or second ring. Just kind of confussed on where the marked ring is supposed to go. Top or second?Thanks Louis
The bevel is supposed to be up on the top ring, and down on the second. What rings are you using? Part number?
Old 04-15-2009, 08:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The instructions on those are hard to read...I haven't had much luck getting the package instructions improved.

On the HF (of even the gfx) the top ring is more silver and the 2nd ring is more grey. Bevel up on top and bevel down on the 2nd always as KCS stated.

Thanks, Brian Nutter
Old 04-15-2009, 07:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. It was kind of late and didn't notice that the top ring is silver on the outer edge. The directions are not the best but they will do. The part number im using are the 4005HF. Thanks again

Quick Reply: Wiseco piston rings