Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS3 Heads/Cam Install Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LS3 Heads/Cam Install Help

Hey guys n gals

I have an order in for a 2010 Camaro SS/RS 6-speed. I've been out of the game for a while, but have previously owned two 4th gen LS1 Trans Ams in which I have done 1 cam only swap and 1 heads/cam swap following the guides on LS1howto.com. Those guides are great and are quite detailed.

LS1Tech has always been my number one place for reference regarding anything LSx or F-Body related in the past. This site is awesome! Although I don't have so many posts (I've always been here to learn), I have been a member for six years.

Soon after purchase, I would like to do full bolt-ons, the new FAST intake, CNC Ported LS3 heads, and a healthy cam. My question is, considering I haven't been keeping up with the new LSx motors much recently, what sort of changes have been implemented in the LS3's design that would hinder or alter the steps in my install? Basically, what would I have to different from, say, an LS1 install?

I've been reading and searching around a little, but couldn't find a good comparison between the Gen IV and Gen V motors. I did, however, come across some information stating that LS3 heads and intake are different from its predecessors and are not interchangeable. Could someone please elaborate?

Also, are oil pump and timing chain upgrades recommended on the LS3? Anywhere I can find torque specs for all hardware? Are new lifters or rockers recommended? (springs, seats, retainers etc. obvious)

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

P.S. I should have never sold my Trans Am. But I knew I'd be back

Last edited by RamAir02; 04-28-2009 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by RamAir02
Hey guys n gals

I have an order in for a 2010 Camaro SS/RS 6-speed. I've been out of the game for a while, but have previously owned two 4th gen LS1 Trans Ams in which I have done 1 cam only swap and 1 heads/cam swap following the guides on LS1howto.com. Those guides are great and are quite detailed.

LS1Tech has always been my number one place for reference regarding anything LSx or F-Body related in the past. This site is awesome! Although I don't have so many posts (I've always been here to learn), I have been a member for six years.

Soon after purchase, I would like to do full bolt-ons, the new FAST intake, CNC Ported LS3 heads, and a healthy cam. My question is, considering I haven't been keeping up with the new LSx motors much recently, what sort of changes have been implemented in the LS3's design that would hinder or alter the steps in my install? Basically, what would I have to different from, say, an LS1 install?

I've been reading and searching around a little, but couldn't find a good comparison between the Gen IV and Gen V motors. I did, however, come across some information stating that LS3 heads and intake are different from its predecessors and are not interchangeable. Could someone please elaborate?

Also, are oil pump and timing chain upgrades recommended on the LS3? Anywhere I can find torque specs for all hardware?

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

P.S. I should have never sold my Trans Am. But I knew I'd be back
only things i would mention from my experience with ls3 engines, is you need to be more conservative on intake duration because PTV is tighter with the larger 2.160 valve, if you want some help specing camshafts let me know i have a some experience camming these motors to run pretty good.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ryne @ CMS
only things i would mention from my experience with ls3 engines, is you need to be more conservative on intake duration because PTV is tighter with the larger 2.160 valve, if you want some help specing camshafts let me know i have a some experience camming these motors to run pretty good.
Good to know! Thanks for the information! Once I receive delivery I will definitely keep you in mind for any help I need.

As far as my question regarding the heads/intake, I found some info. Here it is for anyone else wondering the same thing:

The high-performance, 6.2-liter L92 debuted in 2007 GMC Yukon XLs and Denalis (380hp) and Cadillac Escalades (403hp) and was the source of the casting used for the LS3 head assembly. It's key improvement over the Camaro LS1 and LS6 heads is revision of the intake and exhaust port shapes, volumes and locations... The most noticeable feature of this head is vastly different intake port location and geometry..."we went to a large, square intake port and did away with the 'cathedral' port we had in the older (LS1/2/6) head. The numbers say what we have now flows better than the cathedral port."
Reference

Quick Reply: LS3 Heads/Cam Install Help