Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Compstar crank - what do you think??

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 11:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
I said we use a Scat crank didnt I

From what you heard?? You mean you cant see in my sig and all my advertising that I sell HKE engines???? Show me where I have ever claimed to assemble or be a machine shop. You cant because I have never but I am in direct contact with on of the most respected builders in the country on a daily if not hourly basis so my information is accurate and direct from the source as best I can relay the info.

Also you don't have your facts right either. Machining the rod is part of the assembly and does not cost extra... unless you (the person doing the building) are just an assembler and have to pay someone to do your machining, then you might push that cost onto the customer but you really shouldn't, it's not the customers fault you cant do your job properly.

Ethics there... we don't charge the customer for what should be done automatically during the build.

Do you buy a house and get charged extra for a bedrooms??!?

As far as your internals choice, thats your choice. You can afford the better stuff but that doesn't mean the less expensive stuff is junk.

Most of these guys cant afford a $1200 rod and $2400 crank and don't need them in the first place.

SO like I said it comes down to the builder and if its a true builder who knows what he's doing it isn't a problem at all and there aren't any added costs.

We build to suite someones budget and application and have a great reputation doing so.
You don't build to suite, HKE does, all you do is act as a middle man. Where as anyone can go direct and get the same or nearly the same pricing from HKE. I never said the import stuff was junk, Callies Comp Star parts would be on top of the food chain for the imported parts, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase them for my own use, I just prefer AMERICAN made. I've seen Chinese junk, have you ever been to their foundries? I have....Do you think they abide by ASME and ASTM standards in their forging techiques? Maybe, maybe not. Having to work for the worlds largest software company has afforded me the ability to travel, so I have SEEN CHINESE JUNK, have you?

Show me an engine builder that doesn't charge to REGRIND your chinese iron or any crank that is out of tolerance, meaning the throws have excessive taper. You may say there is no charge, but I would bet that the charge is BUILT into the price.

If a builder is supplying ALL the parts and you or him chooses the import parts, I would agree that its going to all inclusive because the both of you agree to a package deal. However if you the owner brings in a box of parts including crank rods and pistons for the builder to build YOUR engine. If he has to go through a lot of extra time to MACHINE YOUR parts to make them fit, do you really think that you are going to get that labor for FREE? That is my point. Machine shops are like any other business, they have to make X amount of margin on their labor and parts to keep their doors open. Do you really think that they are going to donate labor to you because your cheap parts don't fit......if you do you are really naive. This of course could happen to American made parts as well, but even you say that they have better fit so the chances are much much rarer.

A Callies Compstar crank runs, around $700, a Callies Dragon Slayer runs $1400 so you are a bit off.Now if you are refering to a Callies Magnum you are low. Callies new Comp Star I beams are about $900 not much less for the comparable Olivers at $1200. Either I beam are considerably stronger than a conventional H Beam. Depending on the build and if requirements calls for between the two I beams I would spend the extra 300.

Pay extra for another bedroom? Sure you would, and why not, a 2400 sqft home vs a 2800 sqft home with an extra bedroom. You don't think you builder would charge for the extra materials and labor for another bedroom. Jeez I wish I could live in your world
Old 06-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes I build engines to suite my customers, you seem to be real confused.
HKE and I work hand in hand. You have no clue really at all.

We dont have customers bring us a box of parts, we build and purchase for them what we know works and have used to great success.

As far as prices, you have no clue what so ever as to what I pay.
See again you seem to be real confused on how we operate and to be honest you have
only 6 posts and you're arguing/attacking me and have attacked LME.

What are you really trying to do ?? Joined in 2004 and have 6 posts, 2 of them arguing and attacking me. SO save it. You have one purpose and one only in this thread and none of it is good or accurate.

Your on the ignore list now, rant away.. your out do do nothing but attack and discredit as your friend or you are a local builder
Old 06-02-2009, 11:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser@SpeedInc
best crankshaft you will find under $1,000

probabley indestructable

I think its the only crankshaft sub $1,000 that has a full length keyway (good for blower)

worst thing is it weighs little more then more expensive crankshafts, but not outragous, same weight as eagle.
BINGO!
I would throw 1500rwhp at it all day and not even think about it.

But at the sametime, if you are building a 1500rwhp motor you better not be on a budget...
Old 06-02-2009, 02:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Yes I build engines to suite my customers, you seem to be real confused.
HKE and I work hand in hand. You have no clue really at all.

We dont have customers bring us a box of parts, we build and purchase for them what we know works and have used to great success.

As far as prices, you have no clue what so ever as to what I pay.
See again you seem to be real confused on how we operate and to be honest you have
only 6 posts and you're arguing/attacking me and have attacked LME.

Your on the ignore list now, rant away.. your out do do nothing but attack and discredit as your friend or you are a local builder
Attack LME? If you are refering to the thread from months ago, anyone with any kind of engine building knowledge would know that they totally screwed the goose on that one. FYI that case is rumored going into federal court, they are being sued there so that they will have to come to Washington State to fight it. If you want attack, here is one for you:
You said: "I build Engines" do you build them in the same garage you peddle parts out of??? Unless google maps is wrong it appears you are working out of your home peddling parts, just what is your actual engine building experience?? You are not what most would even consider a legitimate parts store let alone an engine builder.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just purchased a 408 shortblock and many other parts from 99blancoss. So far I have received nothing but the best quality parts, service and technical advice from both CC performance parts and HKE. These guys know their ****!
Old 06-02-2009, 10:32 PM
Teching In

we ran a compstar in a 385 sbc dirt track motor, over 600 hp,builder/machinist liked it.had good luck with it!
Old 06-03-2009, 08:32 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

LME have used Compstar cranks in many high horsepower applications. The engine we built for LMR that won the drag radial class in last years LSX shoot out had the 4.0" stroke 2.100" journal Compstar crank. We estimate the power out put at 1800-2000 FWHP. When the engine was torn down the rod bearing were perfect and the mains showed a slight amount of crank flex, to be expected in that environment. The mains were also reused and is still running today overseas. All in all the Compstar crank fits the bill for pretty much any build most people will get into.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:38 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Blanco, arguing post count has nothing to do with a)the matter at hand b) any matter period.

The amount of posts a person has does not equate to the amount of exp/knowledge that they have. Trying to compare your 8k to his single digits is worse than comparing the size of your manhood.

ON TOPIC: We use the compstar cranks and rods as an upgrade on all of our short blocks, and in some, they are standard anyway. I noticed that blanco does with HKE his engine builder at the moment. Alot of the vendors/sponsors here do, as well as alot of the hardcore racers, BECAUSE it is a proven crankshaft. If you go to almost any sponsors site on here, you will see that they offer them as an upgrade. They are on a diff level than the normal scat and eagle but still affordable for the normal LS budget guy. Not everyone can get a dragonslayer or magnum, etc.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John@Scoggin
Blanco, arguing post count has nothing to do with a)the matter at hand b) any matter period.

The amount of posts a person has does not equate to the amount of exp/knowledge that they have. Trying to compare your 8k to his single digits is worse than comparing the size of your manhood.

ON TOPIC: We use the Compstar cranks and rods as an upgrade on all of our short blocks, and in some, they are standard anyway. I noticed that blanco does with HKE his engine builder at the moment. Alot of the vendors/sponsors here do, as well as alot of the hardcore racers, BECAUSE it is a proven crankshaft. If you go to almost any sponsors site on here, you will see that they offer them as an upgrade. They are on a diff level than the normal scat and eagle but still affordable for the normal LS budget guy. Not everyone can get a dragonslayer or magnum, etc.
John you missed my point .. which was that their only intent was to attack myself and another vendor. I never questioned his knowledge just his intent.

With a 6 post count I don't see a lot of helpful intention, only negative and we're trying to stay on the positive here. That person is local competition apparently for me and is just doing what they can to disrupt and discredit. I'm not going to argue with them, they are blocked end of story.

Erik see's and uses a lot of rods and cranks and my info comes direct from him. People can do the research on HKE and make their own decisions.
He cant be on here and get things done at the same time and frankly wont argue with people like that anyway. It's pointless. I'm learning but have yet to master ignoring instigators

We offer the Callies Compstar as a standard and always have and will downgrade at the customers request. We will also upgrade as in a recent quote I just did with a Magnum XL crank and Oliver rods. We build to suite the customers needs and budget.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:30 AM
Banned

for my build i went with a callies dragon slayer, oliver rods. and wisco pistons. but i want to hold 1K hp to the wheels. if i wanted 1K flywheel i would ahve gone with all compstar stuff
Old 06-03-2009, 10:32 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I apologize, it just appeared like the thread was going off topic in the wrong direction like alot of posts do. I meant no offense to either party, but the integrity of the thread being maintained is the best thing.

That is why i put back on topic. Keeping this thread on topic is better for everyone involved.

Sometimes sarcasm, humor, and intent are lost on the interwebs.....facts is what this guy wants tho
Old 06-03-2009, 01:13 PM
TECH Resident

Is all of Callies products forged in china and finished in the US?
Old 06-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by allthrotle
Is all of Callies products forged in china and finished in the US?
No, Callies is all done in Ohio

Compstar is a line of products made from offshore forgings
Old 06-03-2009, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the reply's. The engine is a R.E.D. prep'd 4.125 diameter LS2 block. Erik built the shortblock with a Compstar crank, Compstar H-Beam rods and 9.5:1 custom Weisco blower pistons. With the stock cast LS2 heads and stock LS2 intake we made 905whp/800wtq at 16.5# boost. I have a set of ETLS7, Jesels, a ported LS7 intake and an F1R going on so we can turn up the heat (north of 1,150 rwhp is my goal). Eric and I dsicussed the build prior to starting, but I did not expect the combo to make this much power. Not that I am disapointed mind you, but I want to make sure this crank will hold.

Last edited by john_sblendorio; 06-04-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:00 AM
12 Second Club

so how much is the stock crank worth?