Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Cant plug in cam sensor need Help what to do ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant plug in cam sensor need Help what to do ?

Ok car is a 06 GTO with a ls2 the stock cam sensor Was on the front top of timing cover.

Engine was replace with a 427 Warhawk with the cam sensors in timing cover but a add extension that moved the plug to the bottom of timing cover by oil pan. THE PLUG ON THE WIRE WONT PLUG INTO THE PLUG NOW. With all the superchanger piping and everthing on front of motor i cant see the sensor on the top of timing cover ?

What do i do is it the wrong sensor ? or some wrong extension ? IS THERE ANOTHER EXTENSION I CAN BUY ? i dont want to rip motor out again.

Last edited by BigRich954RR; 06-29-2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRich954RR
Ok car is a 06 GTO with a ls2 the stock cam sensor Was on the front top of timing cover.

Engine was replace with a 427 Warhawk with the cam sensors in timing cover but a add extension that moved the plug to the bottom of timing cover by oil pan. THE PLUG ON THE WIRE WONT PLUG INTO THE PLUG NOW. With all the superchanger piping and everthing on front of motor i cant see the sensor on the top of timing cover ?

What do i do is it the wrong sensor ? or some wrong extension ? IS THERE ANOTHER EXTENSION I CAN BUY ? i dont want to rip motor out again.
You cant remove the extension bolted to the timing cover?

If not, mod the connector that needs to go into the extension level with the bottom of the block.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I cant remove it with out removing all the stuff on front of engine again. Can i mod the connector ? Do they sell something from this ? are the pins the same spot ?
Old 06-30-2009, 06:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRich954RR
I cant remove it with out removing all the stuff on front of engine again. Can i mod the connector ? Do they sell something from this ? are the pins the same spot ?
You can mod the connector. It needs some "key" cutouts on it to fit the connector on the extension harness.

If you get a torch and look up into the connector from below, you should see the shape of these. There are two.

Its a real pain that all the connectors have these different key configurations, but I am guessing the OEM's do it so they cant be got wrong on the production line.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

So the only way to make it fit is mod the connector? No one esle ever have this issue
Old 07-05-2009, 06:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That extension must be for the fbodys. I had the exact opposite problem you did. I tried to plug mine into the top connector. Wouldn't work until I notched it, but still could never get it to "click". So I'm still using the extension.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea it was a bitch but i unbolted the extension and used 2 steel rods to move the plug around like chop sticks to plug it in. Car did start with it unpluged though

Quick Reply: Cant plug in cam sensor need Help what to do ?