LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation IV Internal Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine-80/)
-   -   will venting both valve covers create a lean condition? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine/1161645-will-venting-both-valve-covers-create-lean-condition.html)

VGLNTE1 08-10-2009 06:52 PM

will venting both valve covers create a lean condition?

Didnt know if having both vented could create more air in the chambers....is this possible?

Busted Knuckles 08-10-2009 07:52 PM

Valve cover air doesn't go into the chambers, just the crankcase/valvetrain area.

slt200mph 08-11-2009 07:54 AM

You only need one breather.

good2go 08-11-2009 08:28 AM

It depends. If you are still connecting the valley cover PCV system to the intake manifold, YES, it will cause a lean condition. This is because you are adding unmetered air (going into the breathers, through the heads/crankcase and into the manifold, pulled by intake vacuum.

I was running a closed PCV system with a oil catch can with a drain valve on the bottom. When the valve vibrated open it was just like running a breather and set lean codes. Close the valve, no longer lean.

ramairws6 08-11-2009 08:40 PM

Its odd that someone just posted this thread since I just converted my PCV over to a breather in the valvecover and my idle has now jumped about 200 rpms at idle. I really thought it was something else causing it but the breather in the valvecover is all I did different?

Haans249 08-11-2009 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by ramairws6 (Post 12056970)
Its odd that someone just posted this thread since I just converted my PCV over to a breather in the valvecover and my idle has now jumped about 200 rpms at idle. I really thought it was something else causing it but the breather in the valvecover is all I did different?

There is no point to running a breather, unless you're sucking in tons of oil, or are FI. Best is to just run the closed loop system (no unmetered air) with a catch can on the dirty and clean sides, and no oil mess in your engine bay.

ramairws6 08-11-2009 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Haans249 (Post 12057255)
There is no point to running a breather, unless you're sucking in tons of oil, or are FI. Best is to just run the closed loop system (no unmetered air) with a catch can on the dirty and clean sides, and no oil mess in your engine bay.

Trust me, I need to run a breather........................

LS6427 08-11-2009 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Haans249 (Post 12057255)

But with the PCV system hooked up, that air going into that intake vacuum port is always going to be unmetered?????

Here's what I did because the oil going into my intake through my PCV valve and valley cover port was HILARIOUS. I put a clear hose on it and at idle it was just sucking it up. Connecting it to the pass valve cover vent port, no oil goes through it at all. I also cut the flow in the hose to half so the vacuum suction is now half strength, but plenty to evacuate gases. I feel a tiny little pull of suction on both valve cover filter/vents.
That valley cover port is crazy and lets way too much oil in. Now I know why I was using 1 qrt every 2 weeks. Now I'm not using a drop, so far. Its been like this for 8 days.

But I will be totally capping off my intake vacuum port for good after this test, I figured a way to never need to use vacuum suction from the intake to evacuate crankcase gases.

Its long.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...xperiment.html

DaddySS 08-12-2009 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by ramairws6 (Post 12057596)
Trust me, I need to run a breather........................

I assume you have so much blowby that the PCV system can't handle it?

ramairws6 08-12-2009 10:56 AM

Nope.....................................:drive:

eallanboggs 08-12-2009 05:05 PM

Gota love the EPA! First they come up with the PCV which coats your intake with oil and then they add EGR which coats the intake with soot. Now all you have to do is mix swirling air with that soot and oil and you have something that looks akin to black strap molasses. Not something I want in my intake and I too have taken "steps" to make sure my intake doesn't look like the inside of a septic tank.

LS6427 08-12-2009 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by eallanboggs (Post 12061275)
Gota love the EPA! First they come up with the PCV which coats your intake with oil and then they add EGR which coats the intake with soot. Now all you have to do is mix swirling air with that soot and oil and you have something that looks akin to black strap molasses. Not something I want in my intake and I too have taken "steps" to make sure my intake doesn't look like the inside of a septic tank.

Have to write a book on everything with cars that needs to be improved upon...and what not to let the dealerships do.

Yup, after I altered my PCV system, and plan to alter it further...my intake and top end will have nothing but "air" going through it......wow, what a novel idea :lol:

VGLNTE1 08-12-2009 10:05 PM

i did it because my crankcase pressure is insane. blows the dip stick out, and I think its causing more blow by.