Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

will venting both valve covers create a lean condition?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 06:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will venting both valve covers create a lean condition?

Didnt know if having both vented could create more air in the chambers....is this possible?
Old 08-10-2009, 07:52 PM
Launching!

Valve cover air doesn't go into the chambers, just the crankcase/valvetrain area.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You only need one breather.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:28 AM
On The Tree

It depends. If you are still connecting the valley cover PCV system to the intake manifold, YES, it will cause a lean condition. This is because you are adding unmetered air (going into the breathers, through the heads/crankcase and into the manifold, pulled by intake vacuum.

I was running a closed PCV system with a oil catch can with a drain valve on the bottom. When the valve vibrated open it was just like running a breather and set lean codes. Close the valve, no longer lean.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:40 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Its odd that someone just posted this thread since I just converted my PCV over to a breather in the valvecover and my idle has now jumped about 200 rpms at idle. I really thought it was something else causing it but the breather in the valvecover is all I did different?
Old 08-11-2009, 09:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ramairws6
Its odd that someone just posted this thread since I just converted my PCV over to a breather in the valvecover and my idle has now jumped about 200 rpms at idle. I really thought it was something else causing it but the breather in the valvecover is all I did different?
There is no point to running a breather, unless you're sucking in tons of oil, or are FI. Best is to just run the closed loop system (no unmetered air) with a catch can on the dirty and clean sides, and no oil mess in your engine bay.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:34 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Haans249
There is no point to running a breather, unless you're sucking in tons of oil, or are FI. Best is to just run the closed loop system (no unmetered air) with a catch can on the dirty and clean sides, and no oil mess in your engine bay.
Trust me, I need to run a breather........................
Old 08-11-2009, 10:54 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Haans249
But with the PCV system hooked up, that air going into that intake vacuum port is always going to be unmetered?????

Here's what I did because the oil going into my intake through my PCV valve and valley cover port was HILARIOUS. I put a clear hose on it and at idle it was just sucking it up. Connecting it to the pass valve cover vent port, no oil goes through it at all. I also cut the flow in the hose to half so the vacuum suction is now half strength, but plenty to evacuate gases. I feel a tiny little pull of suction on both valve cover filter/vents.
That valley cover port is crazy and lets way too much oil in. Now I know why I was using 1 qrt every 2 weeks. Now I'm not using a drop, so far. Its been like this for 8 days.

But I will be totally capping off my intake vacuum port for good after this test, I figured a way to never need to use vacuum suction from the intake to evacuate crankcase gases.

Its long.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...xperiment.html

Old 08-12-2009, 03:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ramairws6
Trust me, I need to run a breather........................
I assume you have so much blowby that the PCV system can't handle it?
Old 08-12-2009, 10:56 AM
9 Second Club

Nope.....................................
Old 08-12-2009, 05:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gota love the EPA! First they come up with the PCV which coats your intake with oil and then they add EGR which coats the intake with soot. Now all you have to do is mix swirling air with that soot and oil and you have something that looks akin to black strap molasses. Not something I want in my intake and I too have taken "steps" to make sure my intake doesn't look like the inside of a septic tank.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:32 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
Gota love the EPA! First they come up with the PCV which coats your intake with oil and then they add EGR which coats the intake with soot. Now all you have to do is mix swirling air with that soot and oil and you have something that looks akin to black strap molasses. Not something I want in my intake and I too have taken "steps" to make sure my intake doesn't look like the inside of a septic tank.
Have to write a book on everything with cars that needs to be improved upon...and what not to let the dealerships do.

Yup, after I altered my PCV system, and plan to alter it further...my intake and top end will have nothing but "air" going through it......wow, what a novel idea

Old 08-12-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

i did it because my crankcase pressure is insane. blows the dip stick out, and I think its causing more blow by.

Quick Reply: will venting both valve covers create a lean condition?