Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

checking bearing clearances

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your main caps should be fine, and whenever you do replace main caps (something I've not seen done except for rare occasions) they must be machined...
Old 10-10-2009, 03:15 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As long as the damage is where it is and only the bearings have suffered, sure you can roll some new shells in. This is not something I normally recommend but in a pinch and when you just don't have the money to pull and polish the crank, it is definitely an option. At this point, you can just run a much thicker oil to get by but keep in mind, the longer you waste away the bearing material, the more chance damage to the crank, rods, or even block could result.

Thanks,
Shane
Old 10-10-2009, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JFM-jr
Is the pickup like the stock one where it mounts to the pump? Only uses one bolt and has a teardrop shape if so i'd say yes.
Yes, it is shaped like the stock pickup. I am not sure on the dimensions though, if it is the same as the stock pickup. I am going to order the braket next week anyway. I have pretty little gold flakes in my oil filter so I know at 315 miles I have bearing issues. I pray the shaft is still good. I will be dropping the engine out next Saturday.

As to the question if it should last till next year, why chance it? Take it out now and correct any bearing issues before you harm the shaft. A set of rod and main bearings is like 175 bucks, and you should be able to check if the pickup is moveing like you suspect with it out of the car. Also you can better control the pickup instalation with the pan off.

Good luck.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will hopefully hear back from a local shop since I do not have a garage or the tools to do this-

If it's under 1,000 I may just fix it. I'd hate to get rid of the car, but sometimes it's better to cut your losses.

Quick Reply: checking bearing clearances