Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

How do I know...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009 | 11:41 PM
TECH Regular

Default How do I know...

okay, what started out as a stock motor turbo build has gone out the window...

The L92 I started with now has forged wiseco pistons, forged rods, stock crank polished, compression dropped to 10.1:1 instead of the factory 10.5:1.

Ordered a cam from Texas speed, 229/240, .624/.610 114 LSA and 111ICL. the cam specs to me make a little sense ( i think, im just a newb and order what the pros tell me to, im a sucker ) TRC double springs.

Heads will only have the spring upgrade ( and texas speeds hardened pushrods as well )

So is there any way to tell me if I should have to worry about PTV? I know, im probably in too deep if I didnt even think about this until now, but this is my first build, and I basically showed up at the machine shop, told them to go ahead and order the bottom end stuff and then just call texas speed later and ordered the rest of the goodies, and never asked either shop about PTV clearance until now. I know the new wiseco pistons have the reliefs in them, I just dont know if thats enough???

And how do I know how hard I can rev this thing? I hear people say a lot just rev it until the power drops off, but I mean, whats the limit on that, 6500? 7000? 8000

So onto the cam, what should I expect out of the thing when not in boost?

I will be talking to the machine shop about this shortly, but I just thought I would ask here as well, i didnt want to call and bug texas speed again, i think theyre pretty busy
Old 10-22-2009 | 03:03 AM
TECH Regular

and uh... what is a good replacement intake valve? The manleys solid ones seem so damn heavy, maybe too heavy for me? 119 grams compared to 108 grams for the stockers? I was just going to order LS3 stockers but I seem to keep reading they are good for an N/A set up and maybe not so great for turbo...
Old 10-22-2009 | 07:37 AM
Launching!

Manley makes great valves they thicker around the back side to make them stronger, If your that concerned with the weight factor you could run a titanium valve but there not cheep. I would like to say i'm not a fan of that cam. We have the second fastest Buick GN in the country only to Duttweiler and looking to change that this year. You could do much better in that depo.
Old 10-22-2009 | 12:03 PM
TECH Regular

well the valve weight i wasnt sure if it was a factor or not with the PRC dual springs im running so I would be interested to hearing whether or not it will be a problem ( the weight wont bother me if it wont bother the valve ) . Care to elaborate on what you dont like about the cam? Since i already paid for a custom grind cam im going to been running it to start with, my engine builder was pretty happy with the cam and theyre not slow on the track by any means.
Old 10-22-2009 | 07:50 PM
Launching!

I should have asked what size turbo your running, and what is the weight of your car? The split in duration is a little on the wide side for my taste of turbo cams.If i may ask what did that cam run you?
Old 10-24-2009 | 08:58 PM
TECH Regular

the truck is right in the 2900-3000lb area. The cam was part of a package from texas speed so i got a smoking deal on it and the turbo has not been purchased yet, I still need to talk to some vendors and manufacturers to get me lined out since this is my first turbo build. But i was thinking something large!
Old 10-25-2009 | 06:44 PM
Launching!

keep in mind that the larger the turbo the slower they spool up. if you were to run a single turbo i would go some were around 234/242 610 610 on 114 lsa in at 110 that would spool an 80mm turbo well and drive great on the street when not in boost.

Quick Reply: How do I know...