Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Confused - which pilot bearing do I need?

Old 11-02-2009, 08:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Confused - which pilot bearing do I need?

I have an LS2 in my '02 Z06. TSP installed pilot bearing went bad in less than a year. Invoice say it is a 1998 -2002 LS1 F-Body, but no part number. I got the LS2 replacement bearing for an '06 C6, but do I really need the one for a C5? They are 2 different part numbers. I am confused.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:54 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You still need to use the standard LS1 pilot bearing in your C5. Its part number is 14061685 from GM.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 11-02-2009, 09:56 AM
TECH Resident

Would the solid bearing (bronze?) be better for me? I don't want to have to tear this down again for a $15 part. Thanks.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:00 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

We always use that standard GM bearing without issues. When you say that bearing "went out", what exactly are you seeing on it or what was happening?

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
Old 11-02-2009, 10:03 AM
TECH Resident

Clutch starting making a grinding noise when engaging. I pullled drive train last nite and you can see thru the clutch that the bearing is mauled and coming apart. I am pulling clutch tonite. Input shaft looks fine so I don't think there is damage there, but I am taking it to shop today to check out. Any clues as to what happened? Car has not be drag raced or even done burnouts. It is only road raced. Thanks for help.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:25 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

What did that sound like? Was it more of a sound like rubbing your fingers on porcelain where it kind of squawks? Or was it more of a metallic sound like marbles in tin can (poor descriptions, sorry)? The first is usually more of a sound made by the friction material sliding on the plate and flywheel....the latter is more typical of a bad pilot bearing.

You must have caught it very early in the process, because the input shaft will usually wear with the pilot bearing and not long after it makes those sounds, it'll mar the input shaft badly! What do the flywheel and pressure plate look like?

Old 11-02-2009, 01:05 PM
TECH Resident

It was more like the second sound, the grinding whirring noise. I will get a look at the clutch parts tonite. I am going with the solid bushing instead of the roller one if I can find one quickly. Transmission shop says shaft looks OK, that it may just need a little emory(?) cloth to clean it up. I am getting the Tick Level 2 rebuild while I have tranny out. I will post some pics of clutch if there appears to be issues.

Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Confused - which pilot bearing do I need?