Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

What is stock valve lash?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 05:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default What is stock valve lash?

Ok, I put together a iron 6.0L and have stock unmilled 317 heads on it, a stock 02 Z06 cam, stock rockers, 7.400 pushrods, and some other stock metal MLS gaskets i had laying around. Valve train was kinda noisy upon fire up... and when it warms up i get some noise.
Its cold now and I can get .013 feeler gauge under a couple easily. I know when it heats up that number will go up, probably to around .018-.020 due to thermal expansion.

I would think it should be close to zero, or is what im seeing normal?
Old 06-16-2010, 05:07 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These engines' lifters actually have preload (opposite of lash for the newbies out there reading) on them out of the box. It can vary by quite a bit, but you typically see them with anywhere from .050-.100" or so of preload from the factory.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 06-16-2010, 06:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
These engines' lifters actually have preload (opposite of lash for the newbies out there reading) on them out of the box. It can vary by quite a bit, but you typically see them with anywhere from .050-.100" or so of preload from the factory.
So...whats that mean? If its preloaded it shouldnt have any slack in it like it does... right?
Old 06-16-2010, 06:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I saw the title, I was expecting someone that had less than 5 posts to be asking about lash in an LS motor.

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
So...whats that mean? If its preloaded it shouldnt have any slack in it like it does... right?
correct
Old 06-16-2010, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

Ok then, thats what I though... I just need to figure why they are loose.....which is weird. Hense the reason I ask.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:39 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

How did you go about tightening them down? You need to have the lifter on the cam's base circle when you tighten them down. And yes, there should be no slack, AKA lash. Rather, these engines have the lifter cups loaded or pressed down slightly.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 06-18-2010, 09:30 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

If the lifters are bled down, you will be able to easily lift the tip of the rocker giving the impression of "lash" All you're doing is compressing the plunger inside the lifter.

Quick Reply: What is stock valve lash?