Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

lq9 408 fbody swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Home town Clive,IA current town FORT BENNING GEORGIA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lq9 408 fbody swap

hey guys i was doing alot of asking around and i think im going to invest my money into a 408. can anyone give me anymore input on these motors. also if i get the lq9 how will that run in my in my car, can i still you the stock pcm? i was told i wouldnt need to buy the conversion kit for the lq9 version to make it work in my ls1 i dont know if thats true or not?

also what kinda of numbers do these motors put down, i know its based upon the set up but with this 408 id like to run the prc stage the 6.0l heads full cnc ported heads, along with the tsp giant cam.

can anyone give me any reasons as to why people run these over ls1's. i've been seeing alot of dynos/videos and guys arnt putting down that much power over a heads and cam ls1 so why do they run a 408?
Old 07-02-2010, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

no u dont need to convert anything.. simple swap.. all ur accesories should bolt up. u can use ur ls1 pcm and harness..they run these over ls1 cause they can take punishmentt a bit more than ls1s.. more displacement = bigger hp. most of the time.. ifgone wth the correct set up.
with a set of heads like that and a nice bumpstick.. u should see around 450-475 depending if ur an auto or stick..
Old 07-02-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mightymike2000ss
hey guys i was doing alot of asking around and i think im going to invest my money into a 408. can anyone give me anymore input on these motors. also if i get the lq9 how will that run in my in my car, can i still you the stock pcm? i was told i wouldnt need to buy the conversion kit for the lq9 version to make it work in my ls1 i dont know if thats true or not?

also what kinda of numbers do these motors put down, i know its based upon the set up but with this 408 id like to run the prc stage the 6.0l heads full cnc ported heads, along with the tsp giant cam.
Check the dyno section, there is a million threads with info on lq9 swaps with dyno numbers and 1/4 mile times too. Best spot to look

Originally Posted by Mightymike2000ss
can anyone give me any reasons as to why people run these over ls1's. i've been seeing alot of dynos/videos and guys arnt putting down that much power over a heads and cam ls1 so why do they run a 408?
408>346 DUH? but for real, big reason is the fact that people can run more n02 or boost with an iron block and also get more torque down low and more ponies up top then. Its a cheap upgrade if you can find a decent block around your area as like stated, a lot of external parts can swap.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Home town Clive,IA current town FORT BENNING GEORGIA

does any one no anything about l92 heads with tsp giant cam?
Old 07-03-2010, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

l92 are good heads, you will need to run a different intake due to the ports. Im gonna run a 421 iron block with ls3 top end. To take all the guess work out, i gonna contact one of the cam experts for a custom grind. Good luck on your build.

Quick Reply: lq9 408 fbody swap