Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

reluctor wheel question

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 10:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default reluctor wheel question

I hear all this talk about reluctor wheel swapping and I just want to see If anyone knows how to clock the wheels on the crank for instance when swapping 58x to 24x or vise versa? I know how to get them on and off bc I had to remove one once to put some heavy metal in a crank to balance it but I scribed three lines before I removed it and just installed it the way it was before I removed it. but I want to know how these things are supposed to be clocked... Or for some crazy reason would it not matter? I would imagine the it has to be clocked a certain way so the computer knows where the crank is at any given time but I could be wrong... Anybody???
Old 07-07-2010, 05:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ssinister550
I hear all this talk about reluctor wheel swapping and I just want to see If anyone knows how to clock the wheels on the crank for instance when swapping 58x to 24x or vise versa? I know how to get them on and off bc I had to remove one once to put some heavy metal in a crank to balance it but I scribed three lines before I removed it and just installed it the way it was before I removed it. but I want to know how these things are supposed to be clocked... Or for some crazy reason would it not matter? I would imagine the it has to be clocked a certain way so the computer knows where the crank is at any given time but I could be wrong... Anybody???
The reluctor position is indexed from the round hole on the reluctor to the dowel hole on the crank drive flange. IIRC the leading edge of the reluctor wheel hole is 120deg from the crank flange hole centreline. (retarded - i.e. the reluctor hole trails the flange dowel hole based on crank rotation.)

The commercially available tool handles this indexing, or make a tool based on a factory crank.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:45 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Goodson's tool is a very good investment for this, but it can be done without. Here's the instructions I found online for the 24X wheel alignment which can be basically carried over to the 58X.

"Looking down at the flywheel flange on the crank, there is a dowel hole between two of the six holes (assuming that you don't have one of the new 8-hole cranks). Call this the 12:00c position. The second holes down to the left and right, we'll call 9:00c & 3:00c respectively.

The side of the reluctor wheel facing you should have five large round holes (towards the lower half of the wheel) and a small (~8mm) indexing hole just to the right of the five large holes and two more holes (with a pyramid-shaped top) spaced 180* apart, at 9:00w & 3:00w if you will.

The alignment is to match the center of the 9:00 & 3:00 holes in the crank with the peaks of the pyramids of the 9:00 & 3:00 holes in the reluctor wheel (as in 9:00c to 9:00w and 3:00c to 3:00w)."

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 07-07-2010, 07:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great info thanks guys
Old 07-11-2010, 03:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 197 Likes on 99 Posts

Thanks for the info as well!

Quick Reply: reluctor wheel question