Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Fractured valve stem problem..

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fractured valve stem problem..

The L92 I just bought had dropped the intake valve in #2 cylinder due to the fact that the stem fractured at the keeper groove. Then while disassembling
the motor the same thing happened to the intake valve on #4 when I compressed the spring for disassembly!! WTF, does this motor have a batch of bad valves from the factory or is there something wrong the GM design? I hadn't heard of any valve problems with this engine and my machinist hadn't either.

Just wondering, but I do plan to replace all the valves with new... probably Ferrara 6000's.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

L92 stock intake valves are big and heavy. I have read about quite a few people having trouble with them breaking.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-not-good.html
Old 07-08-2010, 11:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the link... interesting discussion. Could very well be carbon build up.
Engine had 70k on it and some pistons were pretty dirty. Will check out #4 when I get a chance. #2 is pretty well mashed! Sounds like a regular periodic top end cleaning is a good idea on these motors eh?

As dirty as the top end was the bearings looked almost new.. just amazing. Mains weren't even marked at all.

Quick Reply: Fractured valve stem problem..