Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

6.0 to good to be true???????

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 07:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if it's a 2005 or older motor it probably has the 24x reluctor on it already. for a LQ4/9 you don't need any extensions or harnesses, only for the gen 4 stuff i believe. you will need to drill and tap the block for the third alt bolt if you so choose( boss is there, just not drilled)
Old 07-22-2010, 07:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The lq4/q9 is a gen III motor so I'm not all sure why its in this section that could be why your getting some misleading answers.
An lq4 or 9 is based on the genIII block and therefore the reluctor wheels will be the standard 24x as far as the crank goes as long as its a 2000 on up you should b just fine the problem with the sensors comes into play because your using the l76 intake and heads. If you used the ls6 intake and 243 heads it would be a direct swap literally swap your valley cover and sensors from the ls1 onto the new motor and drop it in.
However with the l76 heads and intake the map sensor which is normally located on the back of the ls6 intake is now on the front so there will be a sensor extension needed. The cam harness shouldnt be needed because all gen III blocks had the cam sensor in the back the gen IV engines like ls2 l92 etc have the sensor on the front. As to the knock sensors the lq engines normally have the sensors in the same place as the ls1 does but being as our using different heads and the l76 intake I'm not sure if they will fit mayb someone will chime in with the answer. If not you can tap the side of the block and just use an extension harness. But other than that everything should be a direct swap. The map sensor is really the only thing youll need to def. change.
Dan-
Old 07-22-2010, 07:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks redbird like i said im new so i dont now what gen these motors are so thanks for not bashing me thats why im on here to learn these type of things.I just need to figure out what i need because i need to figure it out by sunday when i go meet up with the guy and its a 2 hour drive.So if i understand i can use my stock heads and intake(i know there not the best but money is a concern right now) but im not sure what year the block is and i just read that if its a 99 or older it wont bolt up to my t56 is that true?
Old 07-22-2010, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

the early models did have a longer crank. not sure when the change was made though. if you search on here there is a measurement you can check to see which crank it has
Old 07-22-2010, 08:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by outkast6991
the early models did have a longer crank. not sure when the change was made though. if you search on here there is a measurement you can check to see which crank it has
So if its the older block then it wont have the right reluctor wheel plus the crank is to long so either way i screwed?Man this sucks i was getting all happy hell i cant sleeo because i cant stop thinking about getting this on sunday but i keep running into snags...grrrrr...So now im trying to get ahold of a guy with afr 205 heads and just rebuild my bottom end with forged pistons and whatever cam it has in it and hope for 375-400 whp.All i really want is bottom 12's on street tires dang this is hard
Old 07-22-2010, 09:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by firebird99
So if its the older block then it wont have the right reluctor wheel plus the crank is to long so either way i screwed?Man this sucks i was getting all happy hell i cant sleeo because i cant stop thinking about getting this on sunday but i keep running into snags...grrrrr...So now im trying to get ahold of a guy with afr 205 heads and just rebuild my bottom end with forged pistons and whatever cam it has in it and hope for 375-400 whp.All i really want is bottom 12's on street tires dang this is hard
Its not the block all you have to worry about is the crank, if it has the later crank it will be just like your ls1. Just hope its not the early crank.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:20 AM
TECH Veteran

No prob man. Any year lq engine will have the correct reluctor wheel its just the crank you need to worry about. I'm not sure what the snout measurement is but if you can get a hold of the measurement you could just measure it when you get there. Even if it did have the wrong crank a used stock crank can be had for around $150 most of the time. The ls1 with just a cam and bolt ons is usually right where you want your goal to be add the afr's and it will easily be over 400whp. Of course with the lq engine you get MUCH better heads and intake and you get the added displacement overall if you have the cash for the lq engine go for it. You could even use your stock heads on it and then later upgrade.
To show the difference a stock ls2 is rated at 400hp and puts down a solid 340whp in this thread a guy used the stock cam and did just a head swap to the l92 heads and made 415hp and 407 ft lbs. http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/archive.../t-177018.html

Bottom line the lq engine w/l92>ls1 w/ afr. ls1 afr>lq with stock heads. lq cammed stock heads>ls1 cammed stock heads

Last edited by redbird555; 07-22-2010 at 10:22 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-23-2010, 06:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So i text the guy today and he said its a 05 block with a 24 reluctor wheel so i guess my only hang up is getting the sensor ext and putting the motor together plus the guy with the afr's wont respond to my email god i hate craigslist sometimes........GRRRRRRR
Old 07-23-2010, 01:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So i text the guy today and he said its a 05 block with a 24 reluctor wheel so i guess my only hang up is getting the sensor ext and putting the motor together plus the guy with the afr's wont respond to my email god i hate craigslist sometimes........GRRRRRRR
The 05 will have the correct crank for your needs. The longer cranks were in the earliest models of LQ engines. They are .400 longer at the rear.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So should i just pick up the short block and have my heads ported and rebuilt or should i buy the whole thing and just do what i have to to make it work? Iknow the tb thats on the intake is a drive by wire so ill need a tb yet another snag damn they just keep coming
Old 07-24-2010, 07:23 AM
TECH Veteran

If you want to go the cheapest route just use your existing heads and an ls6 intake on the engine and drop it in with a cam of your choice it will be a direct bolt in youll just need a tune for the cam. Will it maximize the setups potential? NO absolutely not. If you want the most power for the best money and a good platform to start then get the l92 heads which can be had for around 600 in the classifieds and an l76 intake for another 300 (theyre that price new on fleabay) and bolt it all upp yes you will need a new tb a Nick Williams is around 250 used here. The only thing you will need is a map extension harness and MAYBE a knock sensor extension although I believe you can still use the stock location with the l76 intake. Then once again a cam of your choice and you should easily see 450whp and a very friendly driving car on the street.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redbird555
If you want to go the cheapest route just use your existing heads and an ls6 intake on the engine and drop it in with a cam of your choice it will be a direct bolt in youll just need a tune for the cam. Will it maximize the setups potential? NO absolutely not. If you want the most power for the best money and a good platform to start then get the l92 heads which can be had for around 600 in the classifieds and an l76 intake for another 300 (theyre that price new on fleabay) and bolt it all upp yes you will need a new tb a Nick Williams is around 250 used here. The only thing you will need is a map extension harness and MAYBE a knock sensor extension although I believe you can still use the stock location with the l76 intake. Then once again a cam of your choice and you should easily see 450whp and a very friendly driving car on the street.
Read post 1 and 7. I would love to buy it all but dont have that much to blow right now that why i was thinking of just getting the short block. I was even going to try to see if he would drop the price on the short block if he keeps the cam because he wont give me the pushrods or springs unless i buy the heads then just get a new cam speced to my future plans
Old 07-24-2010, 08:09 AM
TECH Veteran

I see now. If you buy the short block and have your own cam specd and then buy all the stuff your still looking at another 600. Cam is around 4 bills plus springs and gaskets... You stock ls1 heads will def be choking the lq9 engine with a cam but if its the only option you have I suppose its better than a non running car lol. Maybe offer him 2k in cash if you can for the whole setup?
Old 07-24-2010, 02:35 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would just get the shortblock. get some heads somewhere else
Old 07-25-2010, 03:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I see now. If you buy the short block and have your own cam specd and then buy all the stuff your still looking at another 600. Cam is around 4 bills plus springs and gaskets... You stock ls1 heads will def be choking the lq9 engine with a cam but if its the only option you have I suppose its better than a non running car lol. Maybe offer him 2k in cash if you can for the whole setup?
Yeah i know that the l92 heads would rock but i really dont want to drop 2300 right now and i tried offering 2000 and he said no everything is brand new except the rods,crank and block with reciepts so i dont feel bad plus hes in no hurry to sell the heads so maybe things will change later and i could call him and see if he still has them if not oh well some stage 2 or 3 heads from tsp would do just fine for me remember all i want is 400whp,low 12's,20+mpg and ac anything more is just gravy

Originally Posted by smok'nZ
i would just get the shortblock. get some heads somewhere else
Yeah thats what im going to do i go tommorow to get it
Old 07-25-2010, 08:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Yeah i know that the l92 heads would rock but i really dont want to drop 2300 right now and i tried offering 2000 and he said no everything is brand new except the rods,crank and block with reciepts so i dont feel bad plus hes in no hurry to sell the heads so maybe things will change later and i could call him and see if he still has them if not oh well some stage 2 or 3 heads from tsp would do just fine for me remember all i want is 400whp,low 12's,20+mpg and ac anything more is just gravy

Yeah thats what im going to do i go tommorow to get it
Ok great let us know how it turns out. If possible I'd bring 2k with me and offer it one more time cash talks bs walks ya know?
Old 07-25-2010, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok great let us know how it turns out. If possible I'd bring 2k with me and offer it one more time cash talks bs walks ya know?
Great minds think alike because thats what im doing just dont tell me wife....LOL
Old 07-25-2010, 02:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 434 Likes on 305 Posts

LOL the Early engines that were refered to are 99/2000 engines. In stock form they are easy to ID because they have Iron heads. Any one who has had an LS motor out with the fly wheel off knows that the crank sits pretty close to flush with the rear cover seal. In 99-2000 they stick out just over 3/8 of an inch.

Here is a good artical. I will see If I can find any other good pictures

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Arti...all_block.aspx
Old 07-26-2010, 03:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well after 550 miles and 7 hours of driving my new shortblock has made it homeAnd it turned out better than i thought its beatiful with cam card and receipts from crane cams,sdpc,and the engine builder plus it has the spec sheet for the build which was blue printed and balanced and the cometic gaskets.I was worried about the cam an not getting the springs and pushrods but with the receipt and cam card i can just give them a call and have them send me what i need and have a shop check my ptvc.I cant wait to hear this thing chopping away through my borla exhaustNow i just need to find some 243's unless i can talk the wife into letting me buy some 5.3 heads from tsp
Old 07-26-2010, 05:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Hey great to hear you got the shortblock ready to go. Again not sure if you have the little extra coin to do it but there is a guy who routinely sells l92 heads in the classifieds in fact he has some in there now asking 495 shipped so theyd be abt the same rice as 243's only thing ud still need is an intake tb and the extension harness so prolly abt another 600. on and btw
Dan

Quick Reply: 6.0 to good to be true???????