Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Cylinder head question

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 03:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder head question

I was wondering if i could pick your brain. About all lsx based heads. Lets say AFR 225's. I understand that a 72cc head will lower a engine CR. Where a 60cc head will raise the CR on a motor. My question is on a 72cc vs a 60cc head. Is the valve height the same between lets say the exhaust valve at fully closed to the matting surface of the head? Which would mean the only difference between a 72cc and a 60cc is the contour of the dome of the head? Or do you take a 72 cc head and mill it down to a 60cc? Which would mean the contour of the dome of the head stays the same between the two. Im just trying to understand the the difference between the two heads on theses aspects.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:46 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In most cases, a 72cc head and a 60cc head have different chambers cut into them to achieve those chamber volumes. Now, in some cases, people do mill a 72cc chamber head down that far, but you run into intake alignment issues and such when you do that.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!