Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Newbie ?s

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie ?s

From what ive been reading i think the engine for my 73 should be an LS3. Im very open to any of the LS Camaro, Vette combinations but i was looking for any advice or wisdom from anyone or someone who has done the conversion. I just recently deployed to Afghanistan so i have a year to do my home work. Through the search tab, I have found many links to articles and threads of, what parts are needed and the process. Im looking for information or opinions more-less on anything to do with this swap. Would buying a tank with the fuel pump i need be better than trying to clean my stock tank and fabricating the correct pump? Is there any reason i should want an Ls2 or ls6 over the newest gen 3 chevy smallblock? There is a nice vette back home with 450 rwh naturally aspirated LS2. Thats around the hp i want for my daily driver mustang killer. Also any advice on finding a good LS3 would be nice. Ive checked ebay and there is nothing local on craigslist. i need the engine/ wiring harness and preferably tranny. Thanks for the advice and criticism.Sorry i meant to add to the hp talk. I would prefer to go naturally asperated, i like the idea of not having to go with forced air. But the more i read and reasearch it seems like thats what most people are doing to the new camaros. Just buying one, taking it home, strapping on a supercharger and wamo, 500 horse. Edelbrock has a nice expensive supercharger for the ls3 that is sposed to be for daily drivers and make big power. forgot the name maybe i can find a link. AH yes the E-force http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...gers/corvette/ im just looking for some wisdom/ education haha. I might be posting in the wrong section and i know im way out of me league on this forum thanks for reading.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might just try to find a wrecked car and buy it for all the pieces that you will need. If you go with a carb it would be easier. The injected route you will need all the electronics, computer, harness, fuel pump, transmission etc. Thats why I would look for a wrecked 4th gen F-Body. With the F-Body you can use almost the whole drive train. You could look for a 5th gen but it will be harder to find. I would stay away from Vettes the drive train won't fit your chassis very easy. If you really want an LS3 then you might buy a crate motor or look again for a wreck but this time a truck.
Having a year to research and look for parts you might find them cheaper one piece at a time.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out the "Conversions & Hybrids" forum on this board for more info on the swap.

Keep low, head on a swivel and get home safe!