Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Really Confused

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 01:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really Confused

I recently got an LY6 out of a Chevy 2500 and started to get it ready to install in my 79 Malibu. I will be running a carb and a msd 6012 box. I need to change over to an 05 GTO waterpumb to run the procharger brackets. I have found that this engine has the VVT cam which causes the timing chain cover to stick out to far to clear the GTO waterpump. I've decided to switch the cam and timing chain cover to allow the GTO waterpump. I however ran into a little more information thats confusing me. I was under the idea that this motor didn't have DOD just VVT because my valley cover is smooth. However when I removed the stock oil pan and replaced it with the "muscle car" one I noticed what appears to be a pressure release valve in the old pan mounted over the oil filter location. I had read that is for DOD. So is this motor one equiped with DOD or not and what did I find in the old pan? Please help solve this confusion. Thanks Randy
Old 11-14-2010, 01:40 PM
TECH Addict

You found a pressure relief valve in the pan.

If the valley cover was smooth, it 100% does not have DoD, despite having the valve. The timing cover does mean it has VVT. You will also need a new cam timing gear to eliminate it in addition to the cam and cover you mentioned to eliminate it.

I wouldn't worry about the relief valve.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:30 AM
Teching In

Default Pressure Relief Valve

Im not really worried about the valve in the old pan. I'm just curious why its there and the logic behind it. Any guess what the oil pressure will be without it?
Old 11-17-2010, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The relief valve is there because even the VVT motors like your LY6 have the higher volume oil pumps like the DoD motors. The VVT cam phaser operates off of pressurized oil. I can't tell you that you won't have excessive oil pressure without the relief valve, but I can tell you I'm not worrying about it on my LY6 with a swapped muscle car pan. I've also read where other guys have eliminated the pressure relief valve on LY6's and haven't had an issue.

Here's the way I think of it. GM puts these higher volume pumps on the DoD and VVT motors. These vehicles could be sold and operated in Alaska just as easily as Arizona. Therefore, GM has to account for excessively high oil pressures at start up in extrememly cold climates. My point is, I'm not going to drive (or start) my LY6 swapped Camaro in anything other than fair weather (read: above freezing) so I'm not concerned about not having the pressure release valve in the pan anymore. Just my $.02. I hope that helps.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:15 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That valve doesnt do anything except purge excessive oil pressure IF it gets excessive. Old school SBC, and BBC have them built into the filter mount to bypass the filter.
Bottom line, dont worry about eliminating it.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:28 PM
Teching In

Thanks I appreciate your advice and knowledge of this matter

Quick Reply: Really Confused