Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Best ban for the buck?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010 | 06:24 PM
Teching In

Default Best ban for the buck?

Hay guy's I'm new here I have looked through here, but coulden't really find my anwser. I've got a 05 silverado 2500HD 6.0 LQ4, and was looking to do some mods to it just wanting some opinions on what would be the best bang for the buck mod. I was thinking exhaust and cold air intake, and possible cam swap. Budget of about $1,000 This will not be an all out performace machine I still have to pull a trailer and use it to haul stuff, just looking for some advice, I am used to working on old school gen 1 stuff not really an expert on new LS style engines as much. Thanks in advance for sugestions.
Old 11-30-2010 | 06:40 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

I would start with some longtube headers. They are a great bang for your buck mod and will only help making power with further modification to the car. If you do a cam make sure you stay small, you will need all the low end power you can get if you will be towing at all.
Old 11-30-2010 | 06:48 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply, Thats what I was leaning toward I figured most cams wouldent help with the low end that much, I figured headers would be my best bet but I havent found much for long tubes for my application would ones for a 5.3 work or be made ot fit, I know they would bolt up to the head, just wondering about fitting around the 3/4 ton frame and all that.
Old 11-30-2010 | 07:56 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

The best ban for the buck would probably be spamming the board with links to ****, links to overseas suppliers of prescription pharmaceuticals, or spewing racist banter.
Any of that'll get you banned pretty quick
Old 12-04-2010 | 09:25 PM
Launching!

Hi, i'm a senior with a love for cars and trucks. Texas speed was correct in allowing your engine to breathe- to gain performance. You can gain some performance with intake swap to ls6 or like product. Port and polish throttle body and you will notice a difference. Headers and exhaust 15-25 hp
increase. Ls6 intake and throttle body p/p perhaps another 12-18 hp with a little increase in torque which will help your towing. Dyno tune will help after your mods and let you know the engine parameters and they will sey fans/shift- point-a-f ratio/ etc. Be sure to use a reputable tuner who is experienced and post a good track record. Check vendors on this site and most will give good solid feedback to your questions. If i can help please forward email. Have a blessed day.............merry christmas.................
Old 12-05-2010 | 12:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

As said before:

Headers
Intake LS6 or fast (but I have seen some amazing things with truck intakes, they still make decent low end which is what you want... the car intakes will generally help mid-upper ranges.)
CAI ie cold air intake.....

or

Cam package in the 210-220 intake duartion range would help give it a little upm

but that would call for cam,springs or some type of package etc... Which will prob cost you close to the edge of your budget just in parts......... but headers are not cheap either.....

Just try the headers first, then work your way up around bolt on items first before you open it up..... The other issue you will run into is when you make mods its best to get it dyno tuned.... So I would reccomend collecting all of your bolt on items first, then bolt them on around the same time then get the tune....

Bozz
Old 12-06-2010 | 09:50 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Originally Posted by LS1'SGrandady
Thanks for the reply, Thats what I was leaning toward I figured most cams wouldent help with the low end that much, I figured headers would be my best bet but I havent found much for long tubes for my application would ones for a 5.3 work or be made ot fit, I know they would bolt up to the head, just wondering about fitting around the 3/4 ton frame and all that.
We offer the pacesetter headers for that truck. We also offer a y-pipe setup that will bolt right up. We have the ceramic coated headers at $370 and with a y-pipe for $490. Fitment wise they are all the same, unless you have a 2007 or newer truck.
Old 12-06-2010 | 09:53 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

I would also recomend sticking with your stock intake. the truck intakes make great low to midrange flow numbers and you would spend way more money then its worth to get a car intake on there. I would just stick a cold air on there and go.
Old 12-06-2010 | 10:57 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Whistler
The best ban for the buck would probably be spamming the board with links to ****, links to overseas suppliers of prescription pharmaceuticals, or spewing racist banter.
Any of that'll get you banned pretty quick

Quick Reply: Best ban for the buck?