Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Quick Help with cam install, #1 @ TDC, no dot

Old 02-17-2011, 01:22 AM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Quick Help with cam install, #1 @ TDC, no dot

OK, I was getting things started to put the cam in etc... I pulled the oil pump so I could get my dot-to-dot on. I'm a little confused at the marking on the timing set.
If I put #1 at TDC, the cam gear sprocket tooth at 12 O’clock is -2.

If I set the cam gear sprocket tooth with 0 (Zero) at 12 O'clock my #1 cylinder is already on its way through the compression stroke. Nowhere near TDC.

Now the -2 on the cam gear sprocket tooth is very close to the 0 (Zero) on the numbers closer to the crank (the number the oil pump gear half cover up.

So my question is, what set of numbers am I supposed to use? Did somebody have the original cam in this engine retarded 2*? I'm looking to install my cam straight up so do I set the #1 piston at TDC and the set the cam gear dot to 6 O'clock and ignore the lower timing sprocket or what?

Old 02-17-2011, 09:24 AM
Launching!

Put it in at -2 and degree your cam to make sure that it is correct. If the gear has -2 -0 +2 marks on it then it should have corresponding keyways cut in the hub for that tooth to line up. If it doesn't then those numbers mean nothing.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:28 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like the key on the lower crank gear is retarded 2º. You'd have to pull the oil pump drive to be sure (it is a 2 piece setup), and verify that the key goes through the slot that says -2º as well there. If you want it straight up, no more advance or retard, you'd have to change that lower sprocket to the 0º.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 02-17-2011, 11:37 AM
Launching!

ya what he said LOL.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:15 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

What's the trick to pulling the lower sprocket and moving it to the next keyway? (assuming that will make it 0* straight up)

So if I have #1 at TDC, the keyway pointing at 45* to #1 and 0* at the 12 O'clock position, everything should go together correctly?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Quick Help with cam install, #1 @ TDC, no dot