Old 03-22-2011, 06:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^LMAO to the last statement!^^^
Old 03-22-2011, 07:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by midevil1
What did you end up doing to fix them. IE What did you end up replacing???

I was told by dealer it is for sure in the valvetrain. News too me.

Wife says she wants mid-60's Nova with LS drivetrain. After the Denali is fixed. It is going to a new home.
Both had significant amounts of metal throughout the motor so the engines were replaced.
Originally Posted by cam
Hmmm ring land? Did they tune the thing after the cam install? Sounds like detonation issues moreso than piston slap problems to me but its kind of hard to guess without being a part of the teardown.
Pretty much what I was thinking. And to the OP I have NEVER seen a engine failure in a LS due to piston slap
Old 03-22-2011, 08:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cam
Hmmm ring land? Did they tune the thing after the cam install? Sounds like detonation issues moreso than piston slap problems to me but its kind of hard to guess without being a part of the teardown. Maybe they had Chuck Cow tune it
Would the stock lifters work with the HOT cam?? The springs look to be beehive, but I can't get a feeler gauge in them at full lift. I have been all over the truck today at the dealer. I think they reused the stock lifters and springs with the GMPP cam...

I've never heard this thing rattle, but I hardly ever drive it. My wife knows her ****. Been racing her whole life. Did have too have it retuned 3 times because of corrupt tune. That's what dealer said.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:55 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Would the stock lifters work with the HOT cam?? The springs look to be beehive, but I can't get a feeler gauge in them at full lift. I have been all over the truck today at the dealer. I think they reused the stock lifters and springs with the GMPP cam...

I've never heard this thing rattle, but I hardly ever drive it. My wife knows her ****. Been racing her whole life. Did have too have it retuned 3 times because of corrupt tune. That's what dealer said.
The stock L92 lifters are fine. Tuned 3 times??? Corrupt tune....

I think this sounds like you found the
Old 03-22-2011, 08:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the Denali doesn't sound better than anybodys Z-06 right now.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JohnFrazee02SS
the Denali doesn't sound better than anybodys Z-06 right now.
Rub it in a little bit more....please.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by cam
The stock L92 lifters are fine. Tuned 3 times??? Corrupt tune....

I think this sounds like you found the
Wouldn't all the pistons be beat to HELL if the tune was causing major detonation..??? Any motor I have seen that was a victim of detonation. All the piston looked to be blasted with gravel.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:05 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Wouldn't all the pistons be beat to HELL if the tune was causing major detonation..??? Any motor I have seen that was a victim of detonation. All the piston looked to be blasted with gravel.
Not necessarily. Cooked engines are tricky to diagnose in person let alone guesstimating over the internet but I'll throw an opinion out there.

Detonation does not have to mean lean burn down. Those are very different things. Seeing as our new fancy computer controls have methods in place to prevent these disasters from happening we can tip toe closer and closer to the edge without fear. So if your engine was tuned by some hacktard and say the trouble codes were turned off and the tune was bad. It could still be detonating badly and not throw a code to warn you of this. Plus once it detonates it will go into knock retard and retard the ign timing which would stop pistons from melting. But the engine still has to endure the impacts of detonation and by the sounds of things it only took two years of pounding the **** out of your poor pistons until they decided enough was enough. Not saying this is exactly what happened but it sounds very plausible considering the facts you've offered.

Was there any ptv contact marks?
Old 03-23-2011, 10:20 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by cam
Not necessarily. Cooked engines are tricky to diagnose in person let alone guesstimating over the internet but I'll throw an opinion out there.

Detonation does not have to mean lean burn down. Those are very different things. Seeing as our new fancy computer controls have methods in place to prevent these disasters from happening we can tip toe closer and closer to the edge without fear. So if your engine was tuned by some hacktard and say the trouble codes were turned off and the tune was bad. It could still be detonating badly and not throw a code to warn you of this. Plus once it detonates it will go into knock retard and retard the ign timing which would stop pistons from melting. But the engine still has to endure the impacts of detonation and by the sounds of things it only took two years of pounding the **** out of your poor pistons until they decided enough was enough. Not saying this is exactly what happened but it sounds very plausible considering the facts you've offered.

Was there any ptv contact marks?
No contact marks at all. It's just strange that only one piston failed and one other had slight damage too it. The others look great, not even carbon build up???
Old 03-23-2011, 10:39 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Only asked about PTV contact to rule out other causes. Well you certainly wouldnt get much carbon build up if she was running lean...
Old 03-26-2011, 07:38 AM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the info provided, def sounds like a lean condition...

Quick Reply: L92 made it 53,700 miles