Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

6 bolt head conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 04:58 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 6 bolt head conversion

Had a customer bring us a set of good ol ETP heads for his build. Stepping up to an LSX block AES 410ci, matter of fact.

Thought i'd share a couple pics, instead of making pieces for the 6 bolt, we welded up the heads, strongest way we could see doing this, you get full penetration this way, if you weld pieces on the heads they are only welded around the outside of them, welding next best thing to a casting/billet.

We'll run an end mill over the outside bolt holes get them all square.

Attached Thumbnails 6 bolt head conversion-img_4754.jpg   6 bolt head conversion-img_4757.jpg  
Old 06-04-2011, 07:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those are some cool pics Fraser!!

You guys are pretty crafty over there hu?

Nice!
Old 06-04-2011, 07:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks good, I didnt know y'all did that over there...
Old 06-11-2011, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the cost to have this done?
Old 06-12-2011, 07:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default 6 bolts....

Good job, welding in, the best way, and machining out side of welds, cleaver and clean, I don that convertion to both the heads and the LQ9 block and the resolts is verry reguarding, no more lifting up the heads, and the next time heads are removed, the gasket seal is 100% perfect all around, kinda makes wonder how come they don't all, come that way already, and alse all other projects sinse, definetly, 6 bolts for me.

Did you use 8mm or 3/8 studs?
Old 08-21-2012, 08:45 PM
Teching In

I wanted to do my ls2 block and i send it out to aes along with the heads but turns out that they can't weld the block now """" with the $$$ i spend on a new ls2 and all the labor, i rather buy a lsx and already comes with pinn mains
Old 08-22-2012, 09:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by joel_ls1
I wanted to do my ls2 block and i send it out to aes along with the heads but turns out that they can't weld the block now """" with the $$$ i spend on a new ls2 and all the labor, i rather buy a lsx and already comes with pinn mains
Call ERL and see what they can do.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:53 AM
FormerVendor

If their bolt pattern is based off of GM's LSX bolt pattern then you can send your LS2 block to us and we will turn it into this............

Old 08-22-2012, 10:55 AM
FormerVendor

Last edited by ERL Performance; 08-23-2012 at 03:03 PM. Reason: TOO LARGE OF PIC
Old 08-22-2012, 04:41 PM
Teching In

I dont understand what you say about the bolt pattern !!!
The heads I have are not lsx type with the extra bolts !!! They are regular AFR's 225's and will like to do both ( heads/block ) six bolts convertion. Later on I will re-sleeve the block but just looking to push 1200rwhp for now.
I sent the Block & Heads to AES a wild ago and Brian called me and said that the block has to many pores it will not come out OKKKK !!!! ( no idea whyyyy ) but loking for some options, I'm pushing water and I'm in a Budget now.
let me know if you guys can doit and more less how much for lavor and time. ??? Thanks
Old 08-27-2012, 05:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CAMSTER
Good job, welding in, the best way, and machining out side of welds, cleaver and clean, I don that convertion to both the heads and the LQ9 block and the resolts is verry reguarding, no more lifting up the heads, and the next time heads are removed, the gasket seal is 100% perfect all around, kinda makes wonder how come they don't all, come that way already, and alse all other projects sinse, definetly, 6 bolts for me.

Did you use 8mm or 3/8 studs?
Did they convert the LQ9 to 6 bolts? How much?
Old 10-03-2012, 08:12 PM
Teching In

This people from aes are full of it !!!
I took apart my running motor to do the 6 bolts convertion on my ls2 block and afr heads (after talking to them ) and send it to them, it took 4 months to get it back and they didnt do crap..... After hearing all scuses you can find in the book ( brian ) told me they could not do it.
After calling week after week to see if they had shipped back, they true the heads and block in a pallett, and didnt want to sent it like i shpped them and had to scheduled a pick up, shipping this on a pallet with the freight was 4 times more expensive and "thank got i got my heads back" one chamber is big time mist up . Dont know what f@@@k they did with my heads.
Really cool people on the phone but men, theyre customer service is a mile away from what they say, they claim to be top of the line builders, but if they dont give a dam about smaller thinks don't get into them.
$2700 heads for me is a big deal, i wish i had heard something like this about this people ( i hate to be negative, but men this guys really got me pist of )
Old 10-04-2012, 08:27 AM
Teching In

AES Racing Engines !!! Another bad experience.
after trying to convert my heads and block to a 6 bolt, din't get anything done, spend over $500 in shipping (Back & Foward ) besides the labor of taking everything apart and long time now fixing the heads another $340.00......
I never had a problems with any vendors from ls1 Tech I had build 3 diferent motors from scratch and cars from suspention to computers and all transactions had been ok, everybody had been very helpfull and cool to deal with.
This time I try to cut corners from the LSX block and got bite in the @@SSS big time

Quick Reply: 6 bolt head conversion