Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

? about crankshaft bob weight balancing.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 10:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ? about crankshaft bob weight balancing.

OK guys to start im half stupid so im sorry.

But ok if i was to get forged rods and pistons of course they will wiegh more then my stock parts. So my question is to do it right ill need to have my new rods and pistons wieghed and weight added to the counter weights on my stock crank, right?

But it just seems like so many people just slap rods/pistons in lsx blocks and run them. Also I heard that balancing a stock cranks a bit*h since having to remove the reluctor wheel in the rear and something about how the weights added?

Im soo lost. I want to put some compstar rods and wiesco's in my motor but man balancing is starting to seem real expenisive and nerve wreckin. Im almost thinking that i should buy a aftermarket crank that has the bob weight already setup for what im doing.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

Default Balancing

Get it balanced,I am doing the same build and you don't want to put money into something done half a**.You knew the answer before you asked the question I think.What they mean when a crank is say at a certain bobweight is it can balance a piston rod combo up to that weight.Anything heavier need mallory metal(expensive) and lighter they drill the crank.Hope that helps,I am not all that smart either.Thats why I go on here!Good luck...
Old 06-21-2011, 05:52 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLINGOLE
OK guys to start im half stupid so im sorry.

But ok if i was to get forged rods and pistons of course they will wiegh more then my stock parts. So my question is to do it right ill need to have my new rods and pistons wieghed and weight added to the counter weights on my stock crank, right?

But it just seems like so many people just slap rods/pistons in lsx blocks and run them. Also I heard that balancing a stock cranks a bit*h since having to remove the reluctor wheel in the rear and something about how the weights added?

Im soo lost. I want to put some compstar rods and wiesco's in my motor but man balancing is starting to seem real expenisive and nerve wreckin. Im almost thinking that i should buy a aftermarket crank that has the bob weight already setup for what im doing.
Aftermarket rods and pistons are not always heavier. The pistons are usually lighter. Also, the reluctor wheel does not have to come off to add weight. I always drill thru the wheel with it in place, oversize the hole in the wheel a little and press in the weight. Have done a bunch like this with no problems.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:25 AM
TECH Regular

ya just figured out my rods are 585grams and stocks are 640... i cant wait to see my pistons on the scale

if i can balance my crank by taking weight off illl be real happy.

Quick Reply: ? about crankshaft bob weight balancing.