Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS7 rods into a 5.3 block?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 08:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LS7 rods into a 5.3 block?

This is my 1st post but it pretty much explains why I am here. I am at the start of a project and I am here to learn,not pose.
I am currently trying to learn the ins and outs of LS engines. I have worked on these engines for years as far as driveability in stock form,ect. Now I would like to play with them and learn more about them. Recently I was given a set of LS7 titanium rods and i also picked up a 5.3 engine. My thought is to put the 5.3 into a 63 Chevy II coupe that I have.
I would like to know if these rods could be used in this engine and what mods I would have to do to make it work. I am planning on running this car on the street and at the drag strip. I would like to stay with the fuel inj and not go with carburetion. Any info would be much appreciated. I realize that these rods may be a bit overkill for this engine. I'd like to make 500hp from this engine and be able to say it is just a little ole 5.3. Please help me with this. thank you Jim

Last edited by jxnslotcar; 09-28-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:22 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They can be made to work, but will require a custom piston with increased compression height to compensate for the slightly reduced length of the OEM Ti rod.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would recommend sellling the Ti rods and going to forged steel. The 5.3 crank will need significant balancing to accomodate the lighter rod and custom pistons will cost more than a standard. Just not worth the effort for a 5.3.

These rods would be great for a NA 427 but that's not what you are working toward. The replacement value of these rods at a dealer are signficant - hopefully you can recover a good portion of what they would cost new.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:28 AM
Teching In

If not the 5.3,what about the 6.0? And what is a NA 427? I realize these rods came in the LS7 but it would seem like a guy could take advantage of their strength and light weight in a different engine combination.
Someone mentioned I should sell them and maybe I should-use the money towards cam,studs,intake,ect as i could probably make 500 hp pretty easily with this engine by just getting heads ported,changing cam,intake. I'd like to know what all my options are before jumping headlong into this. I need to take the time to read thru lots of threads. Lately I have been working and then going to work on the race car to get ready for a big UMP race this weekend at Hartford Speedway.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:38 AM
12 Second Club

500rwhp+ NA can be easily make with a 6.0 and Ls3 heads and intake. I'd sell those Ross as well.

500rwhp on a 5.3 can be a lil difficult lol
Old 09-29-2011, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jxnslotcar
If not the 5.3,what about the 6.0? And what is a NA 427? I realize these rods came in the LS7 but it would seem like a guy could take advantage of their strength and light weight in a different engine combination.
Someone mentioned I should sell them and maybe I should-use the money towards cam,studs,intake,ect as i could probably make 500 hp pretty easily with this engine by just getting heads ported,changing cam,intake. I'd like to know what all my options are before jumping headlong into this. I need to take the time to read thru lots of threads. Lately I have been working and then going to work on the race car to get ready for a big UMP race this weekend at Hartford Speedway.
NA = naturally aspirated, ie no blower or N20. Old fashioned horsepower.

The TI rods really are best fit in an original LS7. Crank bob weights and pistons all designed around light weight rotating mass. Great engine but steel rods would be stronger if a blower, turbo or big nitrous hit are used.

Starting with a 6.0 or 6.2 will put you way ahead of a 5.3. 500 hp at the flywheel can be made with mildly ported stock heads, cam change and good intake. The larger bore will open many more options for heads over the 5.3 making it a far superior choice. 5.3 is popular with turbo guys because they are pretty reliable and are very cheap to buy used.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:21 PM
Teching In

well,after doing some research,even if I was to get 450hp at the crank,that would be plenty enough in this Chevy II. It will weigh around 2600lbs. I am thinking I might even do some nitrous on it at some point. not right away. Maybe a 100-150 shot. I am still thinking as to whether I should go carb or EFI. I know the carb route would be less expensive to do but that EFI would be better in the long route.
As far as the Ti rods out of the LS7, I am going to sell them or maybe trade them towards parts for this engine. Maybe a set of heads or a cam,ect. I am going to stick with the 5.3 as I already have one sitting on an engine stand.

Does anyone know what is the optimum setup for one of these engines? I have heard that the heads that come on the 5.3 aren't bad but wondering if there might be a better one to use? LS3? and as far as the cam,is it better to go directly to Comp or one of the cam companies or is it possible to find one used on here and if so what would be the best cam for this engine? I am sorry as I realize I am asking kinda vague questions but trying to get my feet wet so as to narrow down the choices and maybe get the correct parts the 1st time instead of buying or trading for parts,testing them and then getting something else. I still need to decide as to whether or not to go carb or EFI. I would like to get the equipment so as to be able to do my own tuning. I do have what is know as an I Flash from Standard but not sure whether that could be used as a tuner or if it is strictly something to be able to download stock calibrations from GM,ect.

Last edited by jxnslotcar; 10-04-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:21 PM
Teching In

anyone? I wish I had more time to read through threads but they have me working 80 hrs a week. and my laptop at home is nop. I probably just need to get a different lap top.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:12 PM
12 Second Club

Can't use Ls3 heads because you need a 4.0 bore or larger. Your best bet for 450 crank would be a set of as cast trickflows or AFR heads. And I very nice cam to complement the heads. If your interested my buddy chris1313 ( site member ) has a set of used AFR's that will fit your bore. That with a FAST 90/90 and you'll be there. It's all in the heads! You can have the best cam with baddest lobes and the best lift but if you have POS heads then that's what you'll have. BUT if you got that POS cam with some badass heads the cam will shine.

Quick Reply: LS7 rods into a 5.3 block?