Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Upgraded to some WCCH LS7's from some LS3's

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 02:30 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by RONIN LSX
Why are all these BIG cubes putting out as much as a small 4xx/C.I. setup!? When I think of 45X/C.I., I automatically think 600hp/700hp.

I have a LS6 with Darton MID Wet Sleeves; it's currently punched for a 4.165 slug, but I'm gonna see if I can push it to a .180 or 1.85... With my 4.125 crank and 6.125 rods, I'm yielding 450 cubic inches. My top end right now is setup for a LS3 head with Vic Jr intake and 1350cfm 4150TB.

I'm going mad debating with my budget on getting the Brodix BR7 heads and running them with factory CNC (till I can afford Rich's work on them) for $1500 or just staying LS3, since I have the intake and TB, and running them as cast till -again- I can afford letting Rich work them over. If I could sell my damn Vic and TB it would be a no brainer, but I'm dealing with the #'s in my budget right now.

Since I'm stuffing this into a convertible and will need the extra HP & TQ due to the added weight, if I can get 650-/+ to the wheels -- thought the 6 speed, I'd be nice and happy!

Keep us updated with the #'s Bro!!!

LOL! Dont confuse "dyno" numbers with real world translation forward movement. In short HP is not the only thing that makes FAST happen.

Ive roasted 550whp boosted cars with 350whp NA. How? Power under the curve baby

THATS what cubes are alllllllllll about

Old 12-21-2011, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by cam
LOL! Dont confuse "dyno" numbers with real world translation forward movement. In short HP is not the only thing that makes FAST happen.

Ive roasted 550whp boosted cars with 350whp NA. How? Power under the curve baby

THATS what cubes are alllllllllll about

Oh no doubt Bro, I understand ya, but when I see 408s putting out the same #'s or better, it gets me wondering on what happened.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:46 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Oh no doubt Bro, I understand ya, but when I see 408s putting out the same #'s or better, it gets me wondering on what happened.
Some engines just dont get there and some are so fantastic its almost like they are made from magic because they outperform. Plus from dyno to dyno a LOT can change man believe me. Ive tried a couple different dynos with the same car, same tune, same engine everything and seen a 20whp difference. Oddly it dynoed higher the first time but the car was tight... After a few seasons of pounding it loosed up and went faster at the track but lower on the dyno. Just the way of it I guess the numbers dont always tell the tale
Old 12-21-2011, 04:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont pay much attention to dyno numbers, every car iv had never made the numbers on he a dyno for what they ran on a track.
Iv raced many cars that said they make over 600+ to the wheels, haven't lost to one.
There are a lot of tricks that people pull on dynos that make high numbers but dont work in the real world or on a track
Old 01-07-2012, 10:19 AM
Launching!

A Dyno cannot calculate rwhp it just estimates it, and most of the time not very well. Whether it’s a Mustang or a Dynojet. It’s just a tuning tool for maximum acceleration. You need a straight line to get an accurate RWHP number a Dyno has round drums, no good.
Your track times and the total weight of the car is the best way, make that the only way to get an accurate RWHP number.

You take 1fastxz, he changed heads and picked up 41RWHP, that’s a pretty good gain just from heads. The Mustang Dyno had him at 512rwhp. There is no way a 3800lb car at 512RWHP is going to hit 10.81. So obviously the Mustang Dyno is off. His real RWHP number was 594. That sounds more like it, don’t you think? His new number with the LS7 heads at 10.57 is 635RWHP.

It’s a simple formula if you know how to operate a calculator. RWHP = WEIGHT * (5.825/ET)^3

Last edited by No Hope; 01-07-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:39 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by No Hope
A Dyno cannot calculate rwhp it just estimates it, and most of the time not very well. Whether it’s a Mustang or a Dynojet. It’s just a tuning tool for maximum acceleration. You need a straight line to get an accurate RWHP number a Dyno has round drums, no good.
Your track times and the total weight of the car is the best way, make that the only way to get an accurate RWHP number.

You take 1fastxz, he changed heads and picked up 41RWHP, that’s a pretty good gain just from heads. The Mustang Dyno had him at 512rwhp. There is no way a 3800lb car at 512RWHP is going to hit 10.81. So obviously the Mustang Dyno is off. His real RWHP number was 594. That sounds more like it, don’t you think? His new number with the LS7 heads at 10.57 is 635RWHP.

It’s a simple formula if you know how to operate a calculator. RWHP = WEIGHT * (5.825/ET)^3
While I agree with this mostly theres a formula somewheres with trap speed instead of ET that makes more sense to me as et doesnt always translate effectively to hp numbers. For instance Ive take a second off cars et's just by dialing in the suspension and getting the short times down without touching the engine or increasing horsepower. However the trap speed was very close even though the et was a second different. Just saying is all but agreed that a dyno is merely a tuning tool and something being used by shops to sell stuff nowadays. Cant blame em if it works. Its a lot better than what the perf shops used to sell in the old days which was stuff that breaks to bring you back LOL
Old 01-07-2012, 11:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will have to disagree with ya on this one. 515 rwhp should get you atleast 10.80 in a 3800 # car.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cam
While I agree with this mostly theres a formula somewheres with trap speed instead of ET that makes more sense to me as et doesnt always translate effectively to hp numbers. For instance Ive take a second off cars et's just by dialing in the suspension and getting the short times down without touching the engine or increasing horsepower. However the trap speed was very close even though the et was a second different. Just saying is all but agreed that a dyno is merely a tuning tool and something being used by shops to sell stuff nowadays. Cant blame em if it works. Its a lot better than what the perf shops used to sell in the old days which was stuff that breaks to bring you back LOL
Interesting, I have never used trap speeds. You might be right I will check it out.

I just got back into to beefen up a car after 20 years on the side line and the thing that's blowing me away is all the websites with members posting their Dyno numbers and no track times. How do they know the car is all that if they haven't pushed it in the real world.

This website seems to be different. A lot of hard core gear heads.

I have an 2011 L99 Camaro and I'm looking for a good Head and Cam combo to get rid of the DOD. I had a 69 Camaro when I was 17 so I had to have a 5th gen.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by offaxis
I will have to disagree with ya on this one. 515 rwhp should get you atleast 10.80 in a 3800 # car.
Well you guys are going to have to educate me because in my day to get high 10's you needed close to 600 rwhp. New suspension mods? Gear Ratio's? I'm all ears tell me the best things to buy.

I got 607rwhp and 633rwhp when I used trap speed for 1fastxz using this formula. HP = (((MPH / 234)3) * Weight
Old 01-07-2012, 12:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well you guys are going to have to educate me because in my day to get high 10's you needed close to 600 rwhp. New suspension mods? Gear Ratio's? I'm all ears tell me the best things to buy.

I got 607rwhp and 633rwhp when I used trap speed for 1fastxz using this formula. HP = (((MPH / 234)3) * Weight
My gto was 3800 #s with 505 hp (dyno jet) i ran 10.80 @ 128 with the stock 18 inch wheels all around and no drag suspension with just drag radials. I had to walk it out because of the lack of traction but was able to get it down. Im sure there was plenty more in there with a sticky tire.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:19 PM
Launching!

My gto was 3800 #s with 505 hp (dyno jet) i ran 10.80 @ 128 with the stock 18 inch wheels all around and no drag suspension with just drag radials. I had to walk it out because of the lack of traction but was able to get it down. Im sure there was plenty more in there with a sticky tire.
I'm not trying to argue but have you ever considered you might be pushing more HP than you think? I got 596 with ET and 621 with TS. Are you sure the car weighted exactly 3800lbs? A few pounds makes a difference.

Either way that time and speed is impressive especially with stock tires.

Tell me about the L92 head you had on it. I see a lot of guys using them. Are they better than LS3 heads? What was the specs on the cam you had in it?

Last edited by No Hope; 01-07-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:25 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Interesting, I have never used trap speeds. You might be right I will check it out.

I just got back into to beefen up a car after 20 years on the side line and the thing that's blowing me away is all the websites with members posting their Dyno numbers and no track times. How do they know the car is all that if they haven't pushed it in the real world.

This website seems to be different. A lot of hard core gear heads.

I have an 2011 L99 Camaro and I'm looking for a good Head and Cam combo to get rid of the DOD. I had a 69 Camaro when I was 17 so I had to have a 5th gen.
This is still a leading site for tech but in its early days this place would bitch slap you and ban you for posting anything that wasn't considered worthy or truthful. The whole concept of this site was to gain TECH on LS1's and make them go fast/er not to brag about how big your dick was so to speak. So the gear heads flocked to it but now that LS1 technology is not so new and $$$$$ most of the new members are getting younger and more bench racing types are showing up and there seems to be less focus overall on strictly tech. But the archives here alone are worth every bit of your membership. The search button is definitely your best friend if your building an LS

Now seeing as you have a 2011 Camaro Im going to assume youve been to Camaro5 which is imo at least a complete JOKE site full of more babies and misinformation and crapola tech info than Ive seen published that rivals the mighty Vtec scene.... Sad place.

Anyways cool car you have there and theres lots of power to be made if you want to start modding. Have fun

Old 01-07-2012, 02:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cam
This is still a leading site for tech but in its early days this place would bitch slap you and ban you for posting anything that wasn't considered worthy or truthful. The whole concept of this site was to gain TECH on LS1's and make them go fast/er not to brag about how big your dick was so to speak. So the gear heads flocked to it but now that LS1 technology is not so new and $$$$$ most of the new members are getting younger and more bench racing types are showing up and there seems to be less focus overall on strictly tech. But the archives here alone are worth every bit of your membership. The search button is definitely your best friend if your building an LS

Now seeing as you have a 2011 Camaro Im going to assume youve been to Camaro5 which is imo at least a complete JOKE site full of more babies and misinformation and crapola tech info than Ive seen published that rivals the mighty Vtec scene.... Sad place.

Anyways cool car you have there and theres lots of power to be made if you want to start modding. Have fun

I've been banned twice from Camaro5. I got banned once because I disagreed with a vendor about what type of Stainless Steel a header should be made of and what some of the header companies were using. Some of those companies then lied about what they made their headers out of when I had the e mails with the company's name on it clearly stating they used something else. I have a degree in Welding Engineering with a minor in Metallurgy so if someone needs help in that area I'm more than willing.

Camaro5 is a pathetic site full of propaganda and worthless technical info with little bitch boys who cried to the moderator every time I busted their ovaries.

I've learned more off this site in two days than I have on Camaro5 in six months. I have a lot more to learn.

Thanks for helping me.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:44 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

I am also with you and disagree. I have seen at least 2 f-body's including my car run these times....

Last edited by ramairws6; 01-07-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:09 PM
9 Second Club

I'm not trying to argue but have you ever considered you might be pushing more HP than you think? I got 596 with ET and 621 with TS. Are you sure the car weighted exactly 3800lbs? A few pounds makes a difference.

Either way that time and speed is impressive especially with stock tires.

Tell me about the L92 head you had on it. I see a lot of guys using them. Are they better than LS3 heads? What was the specs on the cam you had in it?
Have you ever considered your horse power numbers aren't right??
Old 01-07-2012, 03:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ramairws6
Have you ever considered your horse power numbers aren't right??
Yes, I am now.

I'm just trying to get away from Dyno numbers. The formulas are a consistant way I can judge the gains I find on the posts with times and speed but different cars and engines. Trying to learn and piece things together.

Does anyone know anything about a guy named Patrick that specs out cams? Does he recommend a head or porting with the cam?
Old 01-07-2012, 04:12 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Power UNDER the curve is key. Dyno numbers are still very usefull but "peak" numbers dont nec translates into crazy et's. For instance heres one of my idols Ranger doing 10.74 with around 450 rwhp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zv5R...layer_embedded

Granted its a lightweight car around 3100lbs but its still awfully impressive for a bone stock car with DR's
Old 01-07-2012, 06:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by cam
Power UNDER the curve is key. Dyno numbers are still very usefull but "peak" numbers dont nec translates into crazy et's. For instance heres one of my idols Ranger doing 10.74 with around 450 rwhp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zv5R...layer_embedded

Granted its a lightweight car around 3100lbs but its still awfully impressive for a bone stock car with DR's
man i wish my car was 700lbs lighter..lol
Old 01-12-2012, 11:41 PM
TECH Addict

Updates?
Old 01-13-2012, 06:14 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1fastxz
man i wish my car was 700lbs lighter..lol
Man, tell me about it!?

Quick Reply: Upgraded to some WCCH LS7's from some LS3's