Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

oil pump gear orientation

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 11:13 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default oil pump gear orientation

I am installing my melling oil pump and I was wondering if they slot in the driven gear needs to be oriented with the keyway? I was thinking 180 from the key or maybe it doesn't matter. Why is this slot there anyway? Also this isn't my pic, just borrowed it, I have the newer 10296 w/ countersunk cover.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:53 PM
10 Second Club

doesnt matter how it goes on.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

There was a thread in gen3 internal eng a week or 2 ago about oil pump driven gear orientation and they said the driv gear does matter as far as which side faces front and back ,,,,,,,,,,,,,I guess 1 side is beveled a little . I believe it was the side with the dot faces the cover . I'm gonna see if it's still there so I can be sure of what I'm saying .
Old 12-30-2011, 01:27 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

The larger gear inside the pump has a beveled edge on both side. One has slightly more of angle then the other and that one goes towards the front cover. The smaller gear looks to be installed either way. Either gears have any DOTS on them. The groove in the smaller gear I have not figured that one out yet. George @Melling has yet to inform me on that.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:15 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jobe_ls1
I am installing my melling oil pump and I was wondering if they slot in the driven gear needs to be oriented with the keyway? I was thinking 180 from the key or maybe it doesn't matter. Why is this slot there anyway? Also this isn't my pic, just borrowed it, I have the newer 10296 w/ countersunk cover.
I spoke to George @ Melling and that slot that you are reffering to is for OIL RELIEF/FLOW drain. Install it anyway you want. As far as internal gears, the main larger gear has bevold edges on both sides so it can be put installed either way along with the smaller gear as well. Hope this info is helpful.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

Yes this this helps alot. Thanks. I went ahead and oriented the slot with the key.

I was also told elsewhere that the slot was used during the machining/manufacturing process. If George at melling told you it was the OIL RELIEF/FLOW drain then I believe you.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:04 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jobe_ls1
Yes this this helps alot. Thanks. I went ahead and oriented the slot with the key.

I was also told elsewhere that the slot was used during the machining/manufacturing process. If George at melling told you it was the OIL RELIEF/FLOW drain then I believe you.
Cool, good deal man. And YES that is what George informed me of.

Quick Reply: oil pump gear orientation