Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Injector puked, buy a borescope?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 10:09 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injector puked, buy a borescope?

I had #7 injector puke fuel into the cylinder yesterday and hydro lock the engine. The computer shut it down before any damage occurred, the reason I know it hydro locked was because it locked up against the starter and destroyed the starter when I tried to restart it. Engine is an LS2 with 23,000 miles on it. I pulled all the plugs and about half a coke can of fuel sprayed out of the hole when I turned it over with the ignition off. I haven't had time yet to pull the injector though. Is this a common occurance? Should I be worried about the guts of the injector sitting on top of the piston at this point? I called all the local tool rental places, no one rents Borescopes. HF has one for $100, so I'm trying to figure out if its worth it. Have also considered just calling Roto Rooter as ridiculous as that sounds, I know they carry them on their trucks but not sure if they're small enough to fit in a plug hole.

J. J.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you trying to avoid pulling the head or something? cause i would pull the head and take a nice look at everything that way
Old 04-19-2012, 10:44 AM
Launching!

Yes, I literally just got the thing running when it happened. I drove it for about an hour before the injector puked. Would like to try to avoid pulling the head if at all possible. It is tightly packed into the engine compartment and would be a several day long ordeal if I had to.

I guess if I pull the injector and its still in one piece I won't have any worries. I was moreso inquiring as to the commonality of this occurance and what exactly happens to the injectors when it happens. Do they typically fall apart into the cylinder or do they typically just get stuck open? I don't get many days off to work in the shop so I try to plan as far ahead as possible.

J. J.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive heard of both situations, falling apart and sticking open, happening before so i guess its situational.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:36 PM
Launching!

Well the suspense was killing me so I took a long lunch break today to pull the injector. It was still in one piece, just completely stuck open.

J. J.

Quick Reply: Injector puked, buy a borescope?