Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

oil pump oring? or normal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 04:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pump oring? or normal?

i have a lq9 and recently did a brute speed blower cam swap on it. i did the ls6 oil pump with a new o ring. seems like maybe i pinched the oring. it has about 45-50 psi at idle. it fluctuates a little at idle but never drops below 40 though so i checked the oil and there are a few tiny bubbles. there was no noise at idle but when its fully warmed up and i drive it for 5 miles or so it had a valeterrain noise. so do you guys think its the oring aswell? what kind/color oring should i need if thats it? when i got the oil pump it came with the blue i believe. ordered from texas speed. any help will be appreciated. i measured the pushrods and everything is good. springs(dual 650) are all good and no bent pushrods or anything. maybe a lifter? no noise at idle.

Last edited by BeldridgeSS; 05-12-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:55 AM
On The Tree

I am having the exact problem! Just reinstalled my cam and heads today. Everything went great and startup was fine. Some valve train noise for 3-4 seconds on startup. Pressure is at 35psi which it was before I tore it down. Anyways, I let it warm up and burped the coolant and let things burn off. Started it back up and decided to take it down the road. When I pulled out of my neighborhood...maybe 200 yards I heard a lifter start ticking abnormally on the passenger side. Brought it back home. Still has good oil pressure and no misfires on any cylinder. I did notice bubbles on the dipstick though.

I'm guessing I either have some gunk in my lifter/pushrods or I pinched the o-ring when installing my new chain. Anyone have this same problem?
Old 05-21-2012, 10:40 AM
Teching In

im glad im not the only one lol. Im changing my o-ring later today. Ill let you know what happens when im done and drive it.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:19 PM
Banned

Did the oring help?
Old 01-19-2013, 04:27 PM
Teching In

Default yep

yep it was the oring. Swapped it out and no noise at all and ran great. It was pinched pretty bad. To make sure i did do it again, i bought the oil pump to pickup tube "girdle". Basicly eliminates any way of pinching the oring. Uses 2 bolts instead of 1 and tightens evenly. Well worth the money. Here is a link to ithttp://www.brphotrods.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BRP&Product_Co de=LS1-G&Category_Code=CNV6 Hope this helps.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:46 PM
Banned

I have some issues with noise in a stock engine with low miles(38k). The car sat alot without being run. Oil pressure is ok never goes below 40 but the engine is noisy then its quiet. If I sit idling engine seems to quiet down, drive it at 55 for a bit and come to a stop and it sounds noisy, lifters tapping etc.

I thought maybe flex plate at 1st because If I pop it out of drive at a stop it gets quiet but honestly its starting to confuse me because its always a little different. I could swear I heard rods knocking but the oil pressure was 40+ at the time. I starting to think maybe from setting the oring dried out or shrank some. Sometimes at a idle the gauge will be at 40 but jigging back and forth fast. Seems if I sit at idle long enough and get the engine good and hot the noise clears up and so does the jiggling gauge but as soon as I drive a bit the noise returns.

Sound familar at all?

The hotter it gets the louder it gets, Its really upsetting me!

Quick Reply: oil pump oring? or normal?