Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Valve Spring Height Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 12:32 AM
Launching!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by machinistone
No offense to phone line tech support guys, but I can go over right now and mock up a retainer on an LS head and tip the retainer by only loading one side, that's just the way it is. It will work to compare one spring height to the next, but it will not give you an absolute number.
Again, I agree. It makes perfect sense to me. However I am being told otherwise and in reality, i really don't have many options here unless I want to keep buying tools till I find the right one. If you look through all the posts on this site it appears as though most people are doing it the way Lunati recommends doing it. I am not saying it is right, but i am figuring it will be alright.

DG
Old 10-02-2012, 12:35 AM
Launching!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chevelle598bb
Slide it over to one side and check it. Make sure all heights are close. Yes you can tip the retainer by loading one side but when height mic is mocked up the retainer is pretty well locked. The mic pushing against one side of the retainer will cause it to engage the locks and get a good reading. That being said if you have access to a mill you could make a small insert for the height mic. That is what I did a few years back. It just makes for much faster checking of installed heights. If I wasn't an engine builder and just a DIY guy I would just slide the mic to one side, check it and forget it.
Yea, that's how its going to go down. I will just try and be a meticulous as possible (as I have been) and hope for some near accurate measurements. If only my shims would arrive already! Mail is so slow!

DG
Old 10-09-2012, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subtract the retainer height from your actual measurement for spring height...

Quick Reply: Valve Spring Height Issues