Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Which heads to put on my 408

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 05:43 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ellesone
and why would you choose them over say an AFR or MAST?
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...t/viewall.html

I would point to that test as one independent test as to why many chose PRC over AFR and MAST.

Comparing to the AFR: PRC makes within 1hp of the AFR's at peak HP, and equal torque. The PRC however made an extra 2.6hp AVERAGE, and 3.6ftlbs more AVERAGE, all at a price point several hundred dollars less.

I find it mind-numbing to use that article to compare the MAST and PRC heads, because the MAST heads tested were LS3 heads, not cathedral. Although the PRC cathedral 237's did pretty well against their LS3's over-all (and with a price difference even greater than that between the PRC's and AFR heads)!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 10-30-2012, 05:52 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

I found that test fascinating when it came out. One thing that was obvious is how close they all are. With the exception of the under-performing World Products head, they were all withing 3 or 4 average horsepower of one another. In fact, the CNC factory casting was right there in the fight.

What I took away from it was that CNC ported factory castings are a great bargain! So, I bought the TSP CNC LS6 heads.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:23 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Yes sir, a few horse here and there to be had, and a few $$ to save as well

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
Old 11-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speedtigger
I found that test fascinating when it came out. One thing that was obvious is how close they all are. With the exception of the under-performing World Products head, they were all withing 3 or 4 average horsepower of one another. In fact, the CNC factory casting was right there in the fight.

What I took away from it was that CNC ported factory castings are a great bargain! So, I bought the TSP CNC LS6 heads.
LOL TEA LS6 were tested not prc

But I must say that it was a good article with interesting results. You cant argue with facts so it looks like the 237 is the better head for the money for a 408. The article did state that the AFR 245 was better suited for a larger bore but we're talking about a 408 here so I would have to give the PRC the win.

I did ask tvwilkes why he would recommend them as I find it funny that he is prc and doesnt come out and say thats why he supports them...LOL

Maybe in the future I'll have to consider the 237 when recommending heads.

Any reports on longevity of the head? in the past you guys had an issue with breakage and sharp edges on your PRC oem stuff . It always biased me for obvious reasons..

Isnt the deck less thicker than the AFR as well? How does that come into play with power adder engines? Do you have anyone with a lot of miles and track passes... pulled the heads to have a look at things and no cracking or compromises of any kind?
Old 11-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

Looking at the flow numbers, my thought was that they would perform about the same.

I am always kind of surprised at how people say oh this head rocks and that one sucks even though they have similar flow numbers. The TEA vs. AI vs. TSP threads are a perfect example. Looking at that magazine test makes me think that people who take extreme position in those threads are kind of amusing.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:57 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

But I must say that it was a good article with interesting results. You cant argue with facts so it looks like the 237 is the better head for the money for a 408. The article did state that the AFR 245 was better suited for a larger bore but we're talking about a 408 here so I would have to give the PRC the win.

I did ask tvwilkes why he would recommend them as I find it funny that he is prc and doesnt come out and say thats why he supports them...LOL

Maybe in the future I'll have to consider the 237 when recommending heads.

Any reports on longevity of the head? in the past you guys had an issue with breakage and sharp edges on your PRC oem stuff . It always biased me for obvious reasons..

Isnt the deck less thicker than the AFR as well? How does that come into play with power adder engines? Do you have anyone with a lot of miles and track passes... pulled the heads to have a look at things and no cracking or compromises of any kind?
Good questions, Chris. The PRC deck is 3/4" like our competitors. No issues with longevity. Yes we did have a few castings crack in the very early goings that we replaced at no charge to the customer. Since then though, no problems.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

408 with PRC 237 heads, 251/259 .650/.650 cam, FAST 102, 1-7/8" Kooks. Results in my sig. PRC FTW
Old 11-06-2012, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JUICED01
Im not rich by no means but i wanna put the heads that needs to be on it.
GM Performance Parts ( SDPC ) CNC L92 cylinder heads . . . Flow GREAT & CHEAP ( Starting at $499 each ) compared to the other aftermarket heads costing thousands of dollars ! ! !

https://sdparts.com/search/node/LS3%20cnc

https://sdparts.com/details/scoggin-...nter/sd5879b-1

https://sdparts.com/details/scoggin-...enter/sd5882-1

https://sdparts.com/details/scoggin-...enter/sd8802-1

Last edited by ez2cdave; 11-07-2012 at 07:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Which heads to put on my 408