Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Ls2 build, not sure which way to go

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 10:09 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ls2 build, not sure which way to go

I'm trying to put together an ls2. So far I just have a block and some 243 heads. My first thought was to build a 402, but I'm thinking now that it might be overkill.
I would like to be around 500hp. I planned on buying a balanced rotating assembly and a streetable cam.
What are most people doing with ls2's that wanna be at this power level?
If there is a way to go that's much less expensive and will still meet the same goal I'd happily change my mind.
I see a lot of people doing the ls3/l92 top ends now. I'm not opposed to selling the 243's and buying a stock crank and rods, aftermarket pistons, and paying to have it all balanced going with the ls3/l92 heads and intake.

What would make the most sense? I'd appreciate any advice.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sell the 243's get you some Ls3 heads not L92's cause they have the stainless intake valve vs Ls3's having the hollow valves. Stroke it and you'll be at 500/500 IMHO. Your heads new are 750 for both? New and a used Ls3 intake about 250. Check Camaro5.com those guys sell lots of stuff cheap sometimes and might come across some heads too.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:14 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Sell your top-end, and check out the PRC 255cc LS3 aftermarket castings. You get the big air flow like the other ported LS3's, but through a runner smaller than stock. That velocity is why these heads are making great gains as compared to ported GM castings and creating waves in the LS3/L99 community!

When you price a ported GM casting with the same quality valves and spring kit, you'll find that they are within just a couple hundred bucks in price too!

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-4008-pr...der-heads.aspx

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 11-08-2012, 11:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
Sell your top-end, and check out the PRC 255cc LS3 aftermarket castings. You get the big air flow like the other ported LS3's, but through a runner smaller than stock. That velocity is why these heads are making great gains as compared to ported GM castings and creating waves in the LS3/L99 community!

When you price a ported GM casting with the same quality valves and spring kit, you'll find that they are within just a couple hundred bucks in price too!

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-4008-pr...der-heads.aspx
Those look absolutely amazing!

Unfortunately they are way out of my price range.
Thanks for the ideas though. Is there anything a bit more mild?

I'll be spending some time on your website.

Last edited by TZ2884; 11-08-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:19 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

If you're shopping QUALITY ported GM LS3 castings, by the time you put the stainless valve and dual spring kit kit on them, you're going to be close to $2000!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 11-08-2012, 11:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
If you're shopping QUALITY ported GM LS3 castings, by the time you put the stainless valve and dual spring kit kit on them, you're going to be close to $2000!
Then I certainly won't be going that route lol.
Well at least that makes my decision easier.
I realized that I made a mistake when posting this thread. I said around 500hp... after seeing some of the suggestions I realized that everyone seems to be giving me advice on how to get 500 whp. I should have specified, I was looking for around 500 hp at the crank.

I apologize for not saying that in the first post.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

500hp at the crank can be easily achieved with the heads you have now and a medium cam in the stock LS2 cubes. If you don't need anymore power than that, then don't bother with anything but stock stuff (maybe some beefier rod and head bolts) and quality valvetrain.

Though now's the time to really do work on that engine. Would be a waste to say you only want 500hp, put the thing together and then realize you want more power and have to re-do all this work. It's alot harder to do internal mods with the engine in the car than with it on an engine stand.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by redtan
500hp at the crank can be easily achieved with the heads you have now and a medium cam in the stock LS2 cubes. If you don't need anymore power than that, then don't bother with anything but stock stuff (maybe some beefier rod and head bolts) and quality valvetrain.

Though now's the time to really do work on that engine. Would be a waste to say you only want 500hp, put the thing together and then realize you want more power and have to re-do all this work. It's alot harder to do internal mods with the engine in the car than with it on an engine stand.
I guess I just thought 500 would be enough. It's a street car, I don't plan on racing it often at all.
I like my cammed 5.3 now, but of course I want more. The engine that's in it now has 335whp and 345wtq. I figured more displacement would be the way to go.
I am on a budget but the car I'm gonna put the motor in is up and running right now so I've got plenty of time. I'm not in a big rush.

I really don't know what "normal" is when it comes to these engines.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:14 AM
Launching!

I'd like a lot of torque too. That's why I was thinking of stroking it.
I'm not sure how the 243's would do on a 402 though.
I don't know how much machine work is involved with stroking an ls2 either.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:11 PM
Mez
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Step 1:Make a budget.
Any discussion about power or torque goals are a waste without stating a budget. Power cost money.....how much power do you want?

Step 2: What vehicle are you going to use it in? A big heavy car/truck will be a pig if the motor only makes power from 3500-6500 rpm. Ported 243 heads will make good power so don't assume you need LS3 heads and intake. However, the stock LS2 intake is not good. I got 30+ ft lbs of torque in the mid-range from a FAST 92 intake.

Step 3: How are going to use it?
Street? Road racing? Drag racing? Shows? Country cruises? Each will have its own set of need and you can't have one that does it all.

Step 4: Reliability.
Contrary to some people's opinion, high horsepower and reliability are not in common. If you want a dead reliable set up and don't work on your car, a high power set up may end up in the shop more often than you think. And that cost money.

Step 5: Dyno queens.
Other than drag racing, peak horse power means very little. Learn to study the torque curve. Buy a copy of John Lingenfelter's book where he explains what kind of set up performs the best under various condition. If you value drivability then be wary of heads with big ports and high flow numbers because port velocity will lower resulting in less low rpm torque. There is a fine balance between port size and drivability.

Last edited by Mez; 11-11-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:40 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the advice. I'll see if I can find the book you mentioned too.
I really hadn't set a budget because I don't really have a deadline.

The car is relatively heavy, it's a 1986 regal.

Are the ls2 intakes really that bad? Even ported?
Old 11-12-2012, 11:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Ported throughout and matched to your heads is about on par with an LS6, maybe slightly better. Still a good 15rwhp shy of a ported FAST on a h/c setup.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by redtan
Ported throughout and matched to your heads is about on par with an LS6, maybe slightly better. Still a good 15rwhp shy of a ported FAST on a h/c setup.
Wow, that's a significant gain.

Would a fast 92 be sufficient for a 403? How much difference is there with the 102?
Old 11-15-2012, 06:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull your pistons and rods then sell to me!

Quick Reply: Ls2 build, not sure which way to go