Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Ls1 knocking.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 04:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1 knocking.

So here's the situation 98 z28 ls1. 105k miles I noticed I was burning a little oil and so I replaces the pcv valve since it seemed to be leaking a bit. I broke the oil sending unit because that's my luck (I had the intake mani off because i wanted more room to fix it). I had to wait 4 days for the new unit and forgot to plug the port. Nothing should have fallen in there because once I pulled the sensor out the hood was shut and not opened until I put the new sensor in. I buttoned everything back up and started it up. Runs perfect except for 2 things. One I have higher than average oil pressure (65psi at idle). The real issue is its now knocking like a motherfker. It sounds to be coming from the bottom end near the center of the engine. I'm stumped as to what it is. Any ideas would be wonderful. I attached a video hopefully it works
Old 11-15-2012, 04:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoops noticed its in the wrong forum area hopefully someone can still help. I read it might be a bad oil pump that would make it knock but usually don't you loose pressure rather than it increase
Old 11-15-2012, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Sounds like a rod bearing letting go...... Explains the sound and oil pressure....

Quick Reply: Ls1 knocking.