Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Cam choice with Holley Mini Ram

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 10:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam choice with Holley Mini Ram

Getting closer on the LS2 for my old man's 32 ford pickup. I am mounting the drivetrain and laying out the accessories.

I am pretty close to needing my cam and torque converter so I can finalize the engine. Motor is a stock LS2 from a GTO, 23k mile pullout.

I bought the mini ram Holley to get some more height on the motor and fill out under the hood better. Holley guys told me I would hate the full height tunnel ram as it would develop torque in higher rpms than I wanted.

Anyone have a cam recommendation for that specific manifold. I just want a lopey idle that is easy to tune, do not want every last hp in that 3000 lb truck. Thinking of simply doing a cam/spring/pushrod kit and possibly a timing chain and oil pump, but with 23k miles that might be a waste. I have been checking out the cam packages from Advanced Inductions and may try calling or emailing.

Any thoughts out there?
Old 01-11-2013, 06:31 AM
On The Tree

Lopey and "easy to tune" do NOT go together. Can be done but not easy.

Shorter Duration Intake (215-223)with 111-113+4 advance LSA, Exhaust 230-235 Duration keep the lift under .600.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:47 PM
Teching In

I mis-spoke, I did not mean lopey as in misfire codes lopey, just a little more agressive sound.

We got the mini ram sitting on the motor and the firewall trimmed to fit it, I will do some checking around on the cam specs you gave, I appreciate it!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:33 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Since the Mini-Ram is so short in runner length the cam profile will need to be tailored to that runner length specifically. It will need a lot less intake duration than a Fast, Hi-ram or Pro-Flo style manifold with longer runners in comparison. Something custom is going to be your best bet as that intake manifold is going to pose issues with normal off the shelf cams.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:54 AM
Teching In

I did some reading last night and came to that exact conclusion, I contacted AI to see if they could cut something for me. This is my first foray into the LS world so I am learning as fast as I can.

I am going to look around to see who does custom grinds and can offer up good advice on the matter, thanks!
Old 01-17-2013, 07:48 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mdemco
I did some reading last night and came to that exact conclusion, I contacted AI to see if they could cut something for me. This is my first foray into the LS world so I am learning as fast as I can.

I am going to look around to see who does custom grinds and can offer up good advice on the matter, thanks!
Good luck!
Old 01-17-2013, 08:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Martin specs cams, and knows what he's talking about. He's too much if a gentleman to do the hard sell, looks like. I would see if he could spec one.

Quick Reply: Cam choice with Holley Mini Ram