Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

oil pump/balancer hub clearance

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 12:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default oil pump/balancer hub clearance

I'm ready to install my harmonic balancer. The oil pump has been spaced 0.125 forward for double chain. I noticed that the ID of the oil pump front cover is almost size on size with my balancer hub. I noticed the same thing with an old 5.3 engine I have as well. I am surprised that there is next to no clearance yet the old 5.3 balancer is not grooved. Is there a reason that the fit is so close? The front cover hole looks like just punched so size should be for clearance.
If it had a reason to be very close you would think it would be machined? Has anyone made the cover hole larger just for safety sake? Or has anyone ever noticed a groove in a balancer hub? Or am I the only one to ever notice this??
Old 01-29-2013, 08:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Albertan
I'm ready to install my harmonic balancer. The oil pump has been spaced 0.125 forward for double chain. I noticed that the ID of the oil pump front cover is almost size on size with my balancer hub. I noticed the same thing with an old 5.3 engine I have as well. I am surprised that there is next to no clearance yet the old 5.3 balancer is not grooved. Is there a reason that the fit is so close? The front cover hole looks like just punched so size should be for clearance.
If it had a reason to be very close you would think it would be machined? Has anyone made the cover hole larger just for safety sake? Or has anyone ever noticed a groove in a balancer hub? Or am I the only one to ever notice this??
No, no, no, and probably.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:51 PM
Staging Lane

Actually, I did a bit more inspection. Looks like if the oil pump is at its normal position the necked down part of the hub allows for clearance with the front cover. Since the oil pump is 0.125 farther out, the necked down part is now too short. The OD of the hub is about 54mm and the ID of the cover is 54.1mm,
I'm going to have my machine shop add 2mm to the front cover ID so I will have a 1mm gap. Amazing how much trouble moving the oil pump forward 0.125" causes.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Didn't cause me any problems. I check my oil and cut open my filter and never see any evidence of metal from rubbing. Hey, if it feels good, do it.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:22 PM
Staging Lane

Had it machined to 56mm dia. Now when the hub fits in there is a 0.01gap all around. Probably could have just tapered the hole with inside normal and outside 56 or more. The large portion of the hub starts just before the front edge of the front cover. Just a little insurance.

Quick Reply: oil pump/balancer hub clearance