Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

New to LS - Looking for recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to LS - Looking for recomendations

My main goal here is a streetable n/a motor, capable of running on 92 octane with minimal pinging, probably around 11.5:1 compression.

Currently, about all i have is an acid cleaned LQ9 block in an antistatic bag, and my plans/parts list include:
+.005/+.010 Bore
Manley Forged 4" Pistons
Manley Forged 6.125" H-Lite Conrods
Manley Forged 4" Stroke SLW Crank
PRC LS3 6-Bolt 250cc CNC Cylinder Heads (.675" lift springs, non hollow valves) ( Good Port velocity)
Cosmetic gaskets
180 degree equal length headers matched to port velocity
Probably an LS3 ECU with some form of tuning sofware (still unsure yet)
Fast LSXr manifold with the 102mm tb w/ tps
TR6060 with cryo gears.

That's pretty much all i have nailed down so far. I'm still very unsure about where i want to go with the camshaft, and what will meet my goals. I'd like a semi smooth, low RPM idle, and make decent balanced power. I'm a fan of torque, my overall goal for this engine would hopefully be around 600ftlbs/550hp, but i'm willing to go less (or even more) if i can, just to attain a happy sum of parts. The main application for this engine would be a weekend toy/drift toy, probably in a european 4-door. I have a W124 chassis mercedes waiting on an engine which will probably see a 5.3 swap, but i'm also interested in the idea of classic racer sort of deal, like the W108 mercedes, who knows just yet.

Any insight or recommendations you guys could give me on bearings, fasteners, oiling system, all that would be really appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Three things.

Bore the block more to take advantage of those heads! 4.030+
Opt for the hollow stem valves, theres almost 20g difference between them.
The 102 TB is fine, but realise you arent gonna gain any power with it, a 92 would be plenty sufficient.

Quick Reply: New to LS - Looking for recomendations