Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS3 Engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS3 Engine swap

I have a 1995 Trans Am and i am starting to have alot of problems with the LT1 that is in the car so i want to change the engine over anyways. i was thinking about a LS3 and build the whole thing myself. the problem is i have never built and engine by myself and have NO idea where to start i have found a 6.2L block on summit racing for around $1,300. but from there i dont know what to do or look for. i want to make it fast and loud. Big cam, strong heads. i am a Lcpl in the Marines so i would also like to keep it at the lowest price possible. i am trying to get my car back on the road, and appreciate any help given i am going to put a link to the block i found at the end of the fourm

Lcpl Lipham
Rah

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/na...3967/overview/
Old 02-21-2013, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would look for a wrecking yard pullout that has the complete engine ECM and wiring harness. $1400 gets you halfway there already and you don't have any of the other parts you will need for the swap.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would at least start out with a built short block which eliminates trips back and forth to the machine shop and having to do the critical assembly work. Honestly, you can pick up a good forged short block from Texas Speed for the same price if not cheaper than piecing it all together yourself. Unless you really want an aluminum block, an iron block is cheaper and stronger. Another good sponsor to check out if you are on a budget is Thompson Motorsports. The offer some good deal on 370 short blocks.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by batboy
I would at least start out with a built short block which eliminates trips back and forth to the machine shop and having to do the critical assembly work. Honestly, you can pick up a good forged short block from Texas Speed for the same price if not cheaper than piecing it all together yourself. Unless you really want an aluminum block, an iron block is cheaper and stronger. Another good sponsor to check out if you are on a budget is Thompson Motorsports. The offer some good deal on 370 short blocks.
This ^^^^^^
Old 02-22-2013, 09:30 AM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Thank you for your service, We offer military discounts for those who provide our freedom so make sure to give us a call. I spent 6 years in the Marines and love to help out my fellow brothers.

Quick Reply: LS3 Engine swap