Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 based 402 Lifter tick?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 08:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 based 402 Lifter tick?

So I just bought this Vette and I was wondering if this is just a lifter tick or worse?

how serious does this sound?

the owner said it was normal but i dont think this is at all, I can really hear it in this video. it almost isolated the ticking.

i know these motors can get noisy but not like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo_QP...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-14-2013, 09:34 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sick_tight
So I just bought this Vette and I was wondering if this is just a lifter tick or worse?

how serious does this sound?

the owner said it was normal but i dont think this is at all, I can really hear it in this video. it almost isolated the ticking.

i know these motors can get noisy but not like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo_QP...ature=youtu.be

Hmmm... My first guess is that sounds like an arc of a bad plug or wire.

If not:
Sounds like top end, maybe a lifter... Maybe a rocker arm has come apart... Not necessarily serious, and not loud by any means compared to most, but I would work to track exactly which side and roughly which cylinder is making the noise. Pop off the valve cover and have a look. The problem might become obvious to you. (lifter is further down, of course, but you can kinda feel the collapse in the pushrod if one is gone.)
Old 08-15-2013, 10:37 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 00Vette04GTO
Hmmm... My first guess is that sounds like an arc of a bad plug or wire.

If not:
Sounds like top end, maybe a lifter... Maybe a rocker arm has come apart... Not necessarily serious, and not loud by any means compared to most, but I would work to track exactly which side and roughly which cylinder is making the noise. Pop off the valve cover and have a look. The problem might become obvious to you. (lifter is further down, of course, but you can kinda feel the collapse in the pushrod if one is gone.)
thanks, come to think of it, It could very well be an arcing plug. the plug wires were touching the headers on that side. so ill take a look and dig into it. ill try and narrow it down and hopefully figure it out. again like you said its not that loud but definitely shoud get looked at before it gets to be a serious problem
Old 09-10-2013, 01:50 AM
TECH Regular

ok, i think i may have found what the noise was. i thought i could hear it a little better under the car, and after using a "stethoscope" to see if i could narrow it down (sounded normal actually, no distinct tick), took off valve covers and everything looked fine (didnt have a pushrod checker), found out ive got 1.7 roller rockers. sometimes the "tick" has almost a popping sound like exhaust, i thought it might have been detonation but its not nearly that bad at all.

now while doing my trans swap i was looking at the passenger collector on my long tubes and the were pretty well gouged from the previous owner bottoming it out an i saw where the collector was welded it was scraped pretty good and i notices a crack in the weld that went all the way across the bottom. i havent gotten a good picture yet as im still mid swap (waiting on ams oil fluid, SS brake lines while im down there, and all thats left is the interior/shifter and the H pipe). Ill start it up after the swap and while its still on my platform ill go underneath and take a look at it and see if thats where the sound is coming from. and if it is or even if it isnt ill take it to an exhaust shop to re-weld that collector.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:09 PM
Teching In

Default tick

exhaust leaks are known to be mistaken for knocks and ticks in engines so more than likely thats the problem
Old 09-15-2013, 02:07 PM
TECH Regular

yup, i started her up after the trans swap and i gutted the cats so less back pressure at the collector and i can feel the exhaust leak and hear it. thanks

Quick Reply: LS2 based 402 Lifter tick?