Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

quick help on torques please

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 10:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy quick help on torques please

I am checking a few things, as I may have an air leak - and I am new to these engines...

The torque on the long thin bolts (10 of them) that hold down the plastic Intake manifold that sit on the top of my LS7, from what I have read, these should be around 89 inch pounds, which in nm is only 10. My torque wrench only start at 10nm which is a problem.

Anyhow, I want to be sure that the intake is torqued down porperly, so I gently had a try at a lower setting and they all seem much looser (settling presumably)than that.

I have no idea what these bolts will stand, and am paranoid about stripping the thread in the block or breaking the bolt as there is little 'feel' when you tighten thse - should they actually take 10nms?
..and is it OK to re-torque them?

If not how can I be sure the intake is seated OK?
A few of the bolts were removed a while ago to add brackets.
I was hoping to get this done today to carry on with the tuning... anyone help with this?
Old 08-17-2013, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't need a torque wrench for this what you do need to know is, you are clamping down on plastic and just can't over do it, the ports seals are rubber and don't take much to compress all the way down, start from the center after you ran all the bolts in all it takes is holding the ratchet at the socket end and tight up 3 or 4 pounds you should be able to see when the seals are compressed all the way down then add a little extra pressure to keep bolts from backing off done.
Works for me.

Quick Reply: quick help on torques please