Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

L76 from a G8 - anything to consider?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 09:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default L76 from a G8 - anything to consider?

I'm looking for an engine to swap into an BMW E36. I might have found a decent deal on an L76 from a 2008 G8 (auto). It's my understanding that this engine is a 4.00 bore, 6.0L LS2 aluminum block with LS3 heads and intake and DOD.

Is there any reason this wouldn't be a good candidate for a swap project? I know I'll have to change the oil pan but I believe the front accessory drive will work. And while I know it's possible to eliminate DOD, I've read there are now custom cam grinds available that will develop good power and maintain the DOD.

Anything I'm missing?

TIA.

Tipsy
Old 08-28-2013, 12:03 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

IIRC, the dipstick is in the oil pan on those engines, so the boss in the block is capped. Pop that cap out and you should be good to go.

There are lots of complaints about the DOD lifters failing, so eliminating it altogether may not be a bad idea. If it has VVT, be sure to find out which of the two styles of phasers is on it, which is important when ordering the cam.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
IIRC, the dipstick is in the oil pan on those engines, so the boss in the block is capped. Pop that cap out and you should be good to go.

There are lots of complaints about the DOD lifters failing, so eliminating it altogether may not be a bad idea. If it has VVT, be sure to find out which of the two styles of phasers is on it, which is important when ordering the cam.
Thanks. I did a bit more digging. The G8 L76's only have AFM/DOD...they don't have VVT. But in order to use a custom cam with AFM/DOD, the engine must also have VVT (only the truck L76's have VVT & AFM/DOD).

So, AFM/DOD delete will be required to install a more aggressive cam, which is a no brainer with this engine, in my opinion.

Tipsy

Quick Reply: L76 from a G8 - anything to consider?