Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Lq4 intake valve replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 09:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lq4 intake valve replacement

Got a JY lq4 build started. Picked motor up bring told it was running, get it home and start disassembly and find it has been sitting for sometime. The intake valves have a heavy rust coating on stems and valve face. I can't find replacement stock valves on net. Can anyone give me some help with this... Factory replacements or aftermarket upgrades. Thanks...
Old 09-02-2013, 09:46 AM
Teching In

Motor has 317 heads on it. any help would be appreciated
Old 09-02-2013, 11:08 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Ferrea, REV, and Manley all have valves in OEM and larger sizes. The last set of 2.02" intake valves I bought were only like $100, so I would think the stock 2.00" size would be about the same.

On the other hand, you may be able to find someone in the classifieds section who has some stock valves laying around that they could send you for next to nothing. If it's just a little rust, you may be able to have it cleaned off. Stainless usually doesn't rust all that bad...
Old 09-02-2013, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a complete set of valves i could sell. They come out of my 317s off my lq4. They are used and in really good condition. Pm me about pricing.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:23 PM
Teching In

Ok... So I pulled heads and cylinders on passenger side are scarred and have rust pitting from where water has sat in 2 cylinders. I'm going to the JY in the morning to see if they will exchange it for a good motor. It was sold to me as a running motor... So fingers are crossed!
Thanks for replys
Old 09-02-2013, 11:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It was probably running when they pulled it...which could have been 4 years ago for all anyone knows. Junk yards can be very shady. Unfortunately, if you hadn't bought it and started tearing it down, some other poor soul may have bought it for a replacement for their truck and just tried to fire it up. Chances are it would have ran fine, but would have started burning oil due to the rust you said you found in the cylinders.

Also be prepared, once you start tearing it apart, they may tell you to **** in your hat and punch it.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bww3588
It was probably running when they pulled it...which could have been 4 years ago for all anyone knows. Junk yards can be very shady. Unfortunately, if you hadn't bought it and started tearing it down, some other poor soul may have bought it for a replacement for their truck and just tried to fire it up. Chances are it would have ran fine, but would have started burning oil due to the rust you said you found in the cylinders.

Also be prepared, once you start tearing it apart, they may tell you to **** in your hat and punch it.
That's what I'm afraid of. I'm mad cause they sold it to me as a "running engine" and its not. Worse case ill have to bore it over a lil bit and go that route. Just sucks cause that kicks my budget in the *****. It's supposed to be an easy cam valve spring swap with new timing chain and oil pump for a running motor. Not a full engine build.... That's why I bought this one and not a cheaper motor.

Quick Reply: Lq4 intake valve replacement