Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Head Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 10:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by coSPEED2
And hd bearings on the crank and rods are a must. That nitrous will hammer the stock gm ones good and you wont want to find out what happens after that.
This is a bit of mis information.

Why would you think he has stock bearings on an aftermarket crank in a 402?

Plus 100 to 250 shots are shot all the time on stock bearings, stock crank, rods and pistons too.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:57 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless your pistons only come out of the hole less than .005 then you will NEED a thicker gasket. Your quench will be all wrong, and you may run into ptv or even piston to head issues and possibly even intake alignment issues doing all of that.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:59 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
This is a bit of mis information.

Why would you think he has stock bearings on an aftermarket crank in a 402?

Plus 100 to 250 shots are shot all the time on stock bearings, stock crank, rods and pistons too.
No misinformation, I missed the 402 part. I thought that was another build in this thread.

#2 yes it is done all the time, and alot of times you hear them blowing up and they blame the tune or the nitrous. I am sure those bearings are pretty hammered as I have personally taken quite a few of them apart for rebuilt and autoposy and found them to be quite a mess.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well when I get the rotating assembly back together tomorrow and measure how much they come out. I thought it was .005 but I can't find my sheet where I had it written on. Worst case scenario I run a larger head gasket and mill the head some more.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:33 AM
TECH Veteran

No misinformation, I missed the 402 part. I thought that was another build in this thread.

#2 yes it is done all the time, and alot of times you hear them blowing up and they blame the tune or the nitrous. I am sure those bearings are pretty hammered as I have personally taken quite a few of them apart for rebuilt and autoposy and found them to be quite a mess.
Wrong nitrous tune up will kill stock or aftermarket bearing no matter what. The right nitrous tune will let it live a long time.

So I guess all the guys in the nitrous section who have stock bottom ends spraying 300 shots have beat up bearings and just don't know it yet, huh? Like Camscam and Carter01. Or like my self on a 250 shot for 4 years.

Bearings get beat up from detonation not just from spraying nitrous.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:58 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Wrong nitrous tune up will kill stock or aftermarket bearing no matter what. The right nitrous tune will let it live a long time.

So I guess all the guys in the nitrous section who have stock bottom ends spraying 300 shots have beat up bearings and just don't know it yet, huh? Like Camscam and Carter01. Or like my self on a 250 shot for 4 years.

Bearings get beat up from detonation not just from spraying nitrous.
That is very possible. Sometimes you do not know all the particulars about a build just because you are on the internet. And if you are saying the P series and H series are not better than stock then I would say you are the one with mis information.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:42 PM
TECH Veteran

So are you calling Cam and Andy Carter liars? They have no reason to lie about their motors. They have nothing to gain from it.

Stop trying to twist things and put words in my mouth. I never said any bearing was better than the other. You are the one saying that nitrous beats up bearings and I'm telling you that's not the case.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:52 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

You are reading what I am not saying. I am twisting nothing. You are the one getting your feelings hurt and putting words in my mouth.
Tell me that the extra shear force put on the oil film by the cylinder pressure and torque pressing down on the piston/rod assembly doesnt hammer on bearings.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:27 PM
TECH Veteran

You are reading what I am not saying. I am twisting nothing. You are the one getting your feelings hurt and putting words in my mouth.
Tell me that the extra shear force put on the oil film by the cylinder pressure and torque pressing down on the piston/rod assembly doesnt hammer on bearings.
It doesn't hammer the bearings. If that's the case all power adders would beat on bearings due to cylinder pressure and that means as soon as you sprayed a big shot or turned up the boost your bearings would be toast and that's not the case.
All the guys running stupid boost like skinnies, hellbents, and Denmah use 100k plus mile motors and they bend rods before they beat up bearings. Same goes for the nitrous guys. They lift heads before they tear up bearings. A bad tune will kill bearings and ringlands before just cylinder pressure will or as you say, just spraying nitrous will.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:32 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

What is knock? And i didnt give a timeframe or anything like that either.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Oh so we have gone from "spraying nitrous" to "cylinder pressure" to "knock". I know what knock is do you? It's obvious you don't know nitrous too well and how to tune it so just stay away from it.

Answer this. If 2 guys have 2 cars and they both put their motors in at the same time and they drive them for the same miles over 5 years and one has spray and the other does not. The tunes on both are dead on. You mean to tell me the guy without nitrous will have better bearings than the guy with nitrous?

I'm going to bed. I'll let you ponder that over night.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:38 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I know nitrous and i know how to tune it.
You are clearly in a pissing match with me for no REAL reason.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:41 AM
TECH Veteran

I know nitrous and i know how to tune it.
You are clearly in a pissing match with me for no REAL reason.
There is a reason. You are saying that nitrous alone hammers and beats up bearings and I'm telling that's not the case. Plus there are alot of people including the OP who are reading this forum and you are providing mis-information. With you being a sponsor, your word is taken more highly than just a person on a forum but when you're wrong, you're wrong. That's what I'm saying.

You never answered any of my questions and from reading what you post I can really tell you don't know how to tune nitrous and what it does in an engine. If you want to keep believing what you think is true, be my guest, but keep it to yourself don't spread that to people that just nitrous alone will hurt their engine. That sounds like some of the old racers at my track that are afraid of it. " I don't use nitrous because it will wear out my engine". There are still newbies that come here and want to use nitrous and from what you post they will end up not using it. So they have info that is furthest from the truth.

I have no dog in this fight. So if you want to tell people this bad info, be my guest. Just be able to answer people when they ask you why did their aftermarket bearings fail when they sprayed nitrous when you told them that is what they needed to spray nitrous.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:56 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

If they decide not to use nitrous because of my one post or this one thread then maybe something is wrong anyway. If they decide to use the clevite P series bearings because of it, then good for them.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Man and I thought I was thread jacking....
Old 04-05-2014, 11:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Briou
Man and I thought I was thread jacking....
Do not worry. I have asked coSPEED2 to stop interacting with 87silverbullet/Bobby from this point on. His past history has shown him to be argumentive just to be argumentive. No one in this thread needs that nor does this board.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:27 AM
TECH Veteran

So trying to give the right info is being argumentative? What a joke.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:32 AM
Banned

So trying to give the right info is being argumentative? What a joke.
No, how you present yourself is Mr. Duplessis.

Move along.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Yes Sir! Pops

Keep putting up those cheap prices so I can price match them thru Jegs.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:46 AM
Banned

Yes Sir! Pops

Keep putting up those cheap prices so I can price match them thru Jegs.
No prob, thanks for thinking about us mr chauffeur. Glad we have that space rent free in your head.

Quick Reply: Head Gaskets