Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Newbie First LS build.. need help

Old 06-27-2014, 10:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie First LS build.. need help

Hello to all. Since becoming a member here a while back Ive been looking and reading from time to time, but now that I actually have an LS, Ive been on here trying to learn as much as I can. Heres a briefing of where this is all going. I picked up a low mileage L99 with a 6L80 last week. As mentioned before the motor was very clean but the oil cap had come off and a little water had gone into the first cylinder.. I decided it was going to be best to pull the heads and have a look inside before trying to turn the engine over and creating other problems. After looking inside, as expected there was a bit of rusty build up on the cylinder wall. I cleaned up the damaged cylinder but was not convinced it was 100%. After a short drive to the machine shop. We decided to take the heads apart for a cleaning and the block was going to need minimal boring.

Here is where im at now and not sure which route to take. The motor is going in an 67 C10 hot rod truck. The truck will not be a daily driver nor do I care to make 1000 HP. Id like a nice street/tire slayer with a matching hot rod sound. Ideally if I can make anywhere from 5-600 hp and not sacrifice reliability, is where Id like to be.

Here is what Ive been looking at so far, yet nothing has been done yet. I welcome all input and suggestions as this is my first LS build and I have no idea what combination work and which dont.

Convert from L99 to LS3

Eliminate VVT / AFM

Intake- Converting to LS3

Rockers- Upgrade Trunion with COMP CAM Kit

Cam- COMP CAM ***** Thumpr

Pistons- Not sure what to get ??

Headers- Doug Thorley #324Y's

Thank you all, I look forward to this build and seeing what you guys have to share..
Old 06-27-2014, 10:34 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want that TRANS 6L80 trade you my 4l80. Try the new JE Pistons Asymetric pistons.. Your on point get with a GOOD builder to iron out the small details. By the way the hell with that cam, custom spec cam 4 your engine is the same $$$.00. Call Mars/Martin @ TICK or
Pat G.

Last edited by lil john; 06-27-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:18 PM
Teching In

Haha. Thanks for replying. I'll look into the JE's also if anyone else has any other input. As far as the cam. I'll look into those you recommended as well.

Originally Posted by lil john
I want that TRANS 6L80 trade you my 4l80. Try the new JE Pistons Asymetric pistons.. Your on point get with a GOOD builder to iron out the small details. By the way the hell with that cam, custom spec cam 4 your engine is the same $$$.00. Call Mars/Martin @ TICK or
Pat G.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:00 PM
Teching In

I'm new here and I'm going at the same route of you, but my ride is a 68 SS Camaro.
Here in Brazil we only have L99's from Camaro's and old SBC's and BBC's.
I'll keep following this thread.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:43 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I would be glad to help you with a camshaft. Our support email address is in my signature.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish you luck with the build. The first time through can get expensive just for all the extra tools and stuff you can get sucked into buying.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:14 PM
Teching In

What stuff are you referring to?
Hopefully I can do my homework and with the help from the forum I can keep those costs to a minimum. Thanks for the help.
Originally Posted by V-10 Killer
I wish you luck with the build. The first time through can get expensive just for all the extra tools and stuff you can get sucked into buying.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not trying to scare ya into not doing it or anything. I just mean, there's no upper limit as to what you might wind up buying if you don't set a hard limit. Some guys have really good luck just bolting it together and running it.
Some guys will buy dial indicators, deck bridges, t-bore gauges, mic's, newer stainless hardware, lifting plates, etc......... It can be shocking how many times you might stop for a single item and make a run to autozone lol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newbie First LS build.. need help