Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Am I screwed cam install

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 05:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I screwed cam install

2012 Camaro SS
So im installing my cam and well I just lubed with 5w-30 and didnt keep lubing it so by the time I got to the 2nd to last journal it started getting hard. so I backed it out but then coming out it got stuck. I put a spout on a qt of oil and squirted it in the 2 holes on both sides of the cam and finally got it out. everything looked ok so I squirted oil in the engine real good and lubed the cam on every journal as they went in and it feels ok. I get to installing the oil pump. A Melling 10296. I had to disassemble it to get it on but the pick up tube did not go up in it was out about 1/4". I had to get the pan down more so I disconnected the oil cooler lines and it came down some more. I hope I can just reinstall the cooler lines without needing to replace anything or a gasket. I figured I had to tighten the bolt and it would go in. well i keep tightening and its not going in. I looked with a mirror and the flange that the bolt goes in is now bent. I took the bolt out and its not stripped but there is a little deformity in the hole of the pump because it wasn't centered in the hole. Im ordering another pump. Do you think I can straighten the flange? do you think the cam will be ok?
I really think I should have not opened the engine. Iv built engines out of vehicle befor but I dont have the money to buy a new short block for a while. Id probably have to sell the Road King do replace the engine. I have to have the car out of my brothers garage buy saturday so he can do some side work. Hes a welder and has to make some benches. im ready to
Old 07-10-2014, 06:25 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Move the car ... Take your time and do the R & R.

Quick Reply: Am I screwed cam install