Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

connecting rods selection?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 07:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default connecting rods selection?

I have been doing some research to help decide on which piston and rod combo I want to go with. I'm building a GenIV 5.3 with a big single turbo mated to a built 4l80e that is being swapped into my 05 G35 Coupe, and before anyone gives me hell for doing a ls swap into an import let me go ahead and say that i LOVE the aggressive sporty look of the g35 but I also love the potential of LS motors! The g35 is just to damn slow so I want to add some MURICA to it lol. My hp goals (on high boost) is the 1000hp range. Im leaning towards the Wiseco Junkyard dog pistons. I've seen that Wiseco and K1 have teamed up so my question is, does anyone have any experience with K1 or this combo or what do you all recommend?
Thank you in advance for your responses!
Old 08-21-2014, 05:39 PM
Teching In

No one...?
Old 08-22-2014, 10:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used Mahle pistons and Eagle rods. Everything fit great.

I think you'll be fine with boost pistons from any of the major/popular manufacturers. The boost pistons are usually marketed as such and forged from the 2618 alloy.

I think you'll be okay with any of the aftermarket steel rods as well. Rod strength is almost entirely related to engine speed, so unless you're going to be running very high RPMs, any steel rods from the major/popular manufacturers will be fine.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Manley performance rods in my LS3 build. They are "off shore" raw blanks but machined in USA on tooling that Ford bought them to do the entire series of supercharged Ford GT connecting rods. I think the Cobra and other high HP Fords still use Manley machined H beam rods. If you want to trut the Chinese for final inpection and machining, there are plenty of sources for those parts.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:04 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and went with the Wiseco Junkyard Dog forged pistons and K1 H-beam rods.

Quick Reply: connecting rods selection?