Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

question on which stroker size?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 08:32 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question on which stroker size?

I've been thinking of getting a stroker motor and am wondering all the differences. I see 383 408 415 428 and so forth. I know in the SBF some sizes had oiling issues as the pin was into the ringland. I'm looking for a good driver not maxed out race. I already have a 6.0 alum motor with LS3 heads, 102 Fast intake and a nice nitrous cam with 2 stage Nitrous Outlet plate. I run 10's na.

I've seen some rotating assemblies that I can buy for my 6.0 which look like a drop in. When do you start clearancing the block or do you even have to? I tried searching but I only see already picked stroker motors but not any differences which one might be better. I know with SBC you start getting into rod angles and length issues as you get bigger. LSX is all new to me. thanks
Old 02-27-2015, 09:08 AM
Launching!

For a street daily driver I would not go more than 4.0" stroke. I have biult a couple of 4.125 ones and they do fine but I don't see them as high mileage motors.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:32 PM
74u
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Bowtiedford
I've been thinking of getting a stroker motor and am wondering all the differences. I see 383 408 415 428 and so forth. I know in the SBF some sizes had oiling issues as the pin was into the ringland. I'm looking for a good driver not maxed out race. I already have a 6.0 alum motor with LS3 heads, 102 Fast intake and a nice nitrous cam with 2 stage Nitrous Outlet plate. I run 10's na.

I've seen some rotating assemblies that I can buy for my 6.0 which look like a drop in. When do you start clearancing the block or do you even have to? I tried searching but I only see already picked stroker motors but not any differences which one might be better. I know with SBC you start getting into rod angles and length issues as you get bigger. LSX is all new to me. thanks
You will need to remove a small amount of material from the block/sleeve on all 8 cylinders to clear the rod bolts. Easily done with a die grinder, or dremel.

How do you plan to use the car? The torque comes in nice and early with a stroker (so it's nice in my 3700lb M6 daily driver) but I don't know how much faster you'd be (with a stroker) in light race car with a stalled auto.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowtiedford

The cylinders are too short in stock blocks for anything over a 4" stroke with run of the mill parts. You can put more stroke in it, but you're going to need a well designed piston to accommodate. You shouldn't have any issues with clearancing with a 4" crank. I've never seen any oiling issues with the pin being in the oil ring. Most times that I've seen pin problems the bin bores are too small. A lot of people run them as is, but that is a very important clearance. The pistons and rods need to be pin fit. Too tight = no oil on the pins.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:56 PM
9 Second Club

I'm leaning towards a 4 stroke since it looks like a good combo. My car is all stock looking with a/c and heat, full interior but stangs are light from the word get go.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:30 AM
74u
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WE TODD DID
You shouldn't have any issues with clearancing with a 4" crank.
Are you saying no clearancing required with 4" stroke?

Quick Reply: question on which stroker size?