Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Cathedral or Square Port heads for 408 stroker

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 05:30 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cathedral or Square Port heads for 408 stroker

I havent found alot of info on which heads would be best for my setup. Want the best bang for the buck whether its cathedral or square port heads for boost, TFS,MAST,AFR etc etc...
Engine is Going to be a 408 stroker with 9:5 or 10:1 compression with twin 67s...Planning on making 1000+whp...Just want the right head for my setup/goal. Thanks guys.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

NA- cathedral hands down,
FI- either
Old 05-03-2015, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

MMS 235's from MAMOMOTORSPORTS give Tony a call or E-Mail.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 537 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by NAVYBLUE210
MMS 235's from MAMOMOTORSPORTS give Tony a call or E-Mail.
that's the best!! Real world results don't lie!
Old 05-03-2015, 07:29 PM
Launching!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
that's the best!! Real world results don't lie!
Can you link to some posts showing these results? Not trying to be a smart a$$ at all, I just haven't seen anything from the 235's at this point...

Thanx.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by carbuff
Can you link to some posts showing these results? Not trying to be a smart a$$ at all, I just haven't seen anything from the 235's at this point...

Thanx.

LOL!! I'm assuming the 235 head is based off the 230 V2 head but only better I would imagine. In all motor form those heads are awesome I can only imagine what two turbos would only do. You right Tony haven't posted any results on the 235 head. Otherwise how many cars (I'm not a turbo guy) talking n/a... you see driving to track and running 10s on motor on both street tires/drag tires? Not many at all. Afr heads gets that done which is what Tony castings are.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:51 PM
Launching!

Thanks guys, ive really been thinking about the square port heads but some say that they arent really good for boost since the exhaust flows less then the cathedral head...this is just what i have seen through research... Correct me if im wrong im just really picky on whats the best for my setup... And i cant find the mms 235s can you ssend me link? Thanks
Old 05-03-2015, 08:13 PM
Launching!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
LOL!! I'm assuming the 235 head is based off the 230 V2 head but only better I would imagine. In all motor form those heads are awesome I can only imagine what two turbos would only do. You right Tony haven't posted any results on the 235 head. Otherwise how many cars (I'm not a turbo guy) talking n/a... you see driving to track and running 10s on motor on both street tires/drag tires? Not many at all. Afr heads gets that done which is what Tony castings are.
I'm familiar with Tony's history and work (while I don't post much, I've been a member here for a looooong time). It sounded like you were familiar with results from that specific head, which I would like to see...
Old 05-03-2015, 08:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by carbuff
I'm familiar with Tony's history and work (while I don't post much, I've been a member here for a looooong time). It sounded like you were familiar with results from that specific head, which I would like to see...
Well I pay very close attention to heads... especially very close attention on all motor combos. I'm sure if a head works great without turbos it'll be the same outcome on the boost.
Here is two good threads here... show me another f body that does the same as the two cars here below that's not stripped to hell and back.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-results/1772832-videos-bangin-gears-pulling-wheels-into-10s-my-all-motor-m6-ws-6-a.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/1372582-402-afr-205-s.html
Old 05-03-2015, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 91ls1silverado
I havent found alot of info on which heads would be best for my setup. Want the best bang for the buck whether its cathedral or square port heads for boost, TFS,MAST,AFR etc etc...
Engine is Going to be a 408 stroker with 9:5 or 10:1 compression with twin 67s...Planning on making 1000+whp...Just want the right head for my setup/goal. Thanks guys.
I'm curious how do you get the best bang for the buck with aftermarket castings? Isn't 10:1 a lil high for a boosted setup?
Old 05-03-2015, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
I'm curious how do you get the best bang for the buck with aftermarket castings? Isn't 10:1 a lil high for a boosted setup?
Yeah probably gonna go with 9:5... They were just guesses i threw on there still need to do more research on which compression ratio is best for these aftermarket heads...
Old 05-03-2015, 10:30 PM
Launching!

And i also wanted to ask. I got a turbo stage 2 cam for the 6.0 from tickperformance because i was going to drop in the 6.0 as is with 317 heads but now that im going legit with square port heads will the cam be good for my setup or do i sell it and get another cam?My cam specs are 235/231 .61x/59x 114+6 lsa...
Old 05-03-2015, 11:12 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 383 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by 91ls1silverado
And i also wanted to ask. I got a turbo stage 2 cam for the 6.0 from tickperformance because i was going to drop in the 6.0 as is with 317 heads but now that im going legit with square port heads will the cam be good for my setup or do i sell it and get another cam?My cam specs are 235/231 .61x/59x 114+6 lsa...
OP....cam should be fine....I think its better suited to a more efficient aftermarket head anyway (I would have put more duration in a weaker exhaust port OEM deal). I would install it four degrees advanced (110 ICL)

Aftermarket head is the way to go for numerous reasons IMO.....deck thickness/casting integrity for more reliability holding a head gasket and a much better exhaust port. With a turbo that's more important than the intake and another reason a really good cathedral would likely make as much power as a square port head with a higher flowing intake port (but the cathedral would be alot more responsive part throttle). All the square port stuff has the exhaust pushed into the chamber wall to make room for the large intake valve compromising some exhaust flow which is more important in any forced induction application.

My new MMS 235's have a phenomenal exhaust port right out of the box and I am also going to offer a nitrous/boosted version as well with an even larger exhaust valve and more flow (this version of the head is being catered specifically to a boosted combination).

If you have an interest shoot me a phone call or an email/PM (email better....just make mention of this thread).

If you prefer a square port I could sell you a ported TFS 255 head but the exhaust port wouldn't be quite as good as the product I just mentioned as there is no room for a larger valve and the architecture/layout of the head favors the intake valve as I also previously highlighted. BUT....if your set on square port I can work some magic on the TFS castings.....been doing alot of them for the CTSV crowd which of course is also a boosted application (positive displacement deal).

Let me know if I can be of some help

Regards,
Tony

PS....The "real world" results of the MMS 235's are coming soon.....LOL (I have a half a dozen or so rolling out the door now). Un-Mamofied, with 340-345 CFM on tap and 260+ exhaust in a modest sized port, the torque and power curve will be very strong and the low midrange responsiveness off the hook.

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!
Old 05-07-2015, 09:20 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Checkout the hot rod magazine comparison of all the cathedral LS heads available. While it was before the PRC 247 heads were available I think it shows how well all the aftermarket LS cathedral heads compare.

What I think is your best option at this point is most likely the PRC 260 LS3 head. The reason for that is simple. A 380cfm cylinder head that from the start comes with a nice hollow stem valve for better valve train control. When dealing with boost & aggressive camshafts the advantages of a hollow stem valve cannot be overlooked!!

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-4010-pr...der-heads.aspx
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com

Quick Reply: Cathedral or Square Port heads for 408 stroker