Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Morel lifters

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 01:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuxdelux
I've looked at Iskys as well, from the little that I've read online they are particular to the cleanliness of oil. What has your experience been? I was told that I should run the 375RHM.
I have not had them long, so no comment on how durable yet, but I keep my oil clean. Isky has been around a long time and they make excellent products. My experience to date is they work well. Also, that is the same part number I have.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Millenium Z06
I would avoid Morel, I bought a set of Morel 5274 LS Pro Series lifters and they failed almost immediately and Morel has no warranty once installed, nothing at all (THESE LIFTERS ARE SOLD AS IS WITH NO TYPE OF WARRNTY OR EXCHANGE OFFERED ONCE THEY'RE INSTALLED).

Had to buy a second set of lifters, went with Lunati Hydraulic 72532 and they have a 90 day warranty but so far they've been fine.
How exact did your lifters fail?
Old 07-06-2015, 08:52 AM
On The Tree

Specs on engine are:
ERL 434 w/ Swain-tech gold coat pistons
Ported LS7 heads W/ PAC springs and Ferrea exhaust valves
T&D shaft mounted rockers
Cam Motion cam 252/264
Ported FAST 102
Manton pushrods
You have a set of pushrods but no lifters

Still, looking forward to the results. Who ported and machined your LS7 heads for T&D rockers?

Fraser
Old 07-06-2015, 11:09 AM
Launching!

I would avoid Morel, I bought a set of Morel 5274 LS Pro Series lifters and they failed almost immediately and Morel has no warranty once installed, nothing at all (THESE LIFTERS ARE SOLD AS IS WITH NO TYPE OF WARRNTY OR EXCHANGE OFFERED ONCE THEY'RE INSTALLED).

Had to buy a second set of lifters, went with Lunati Hydraulic 72532 and they have a 90 day warranty but so far they've been fine.
Hi Millenium,

I was just about to purchase a set of Morel 6132 mechanical lifters for my 400ci big bore/short stroke LS engine when I noticed your post.

It would be greatly appreciated knowing exactly what failed and some sort of basic analysis of the failure mode. Do you also have some photo's you could share because maybe there are some suitably qualified people on this forum, like Kip at Cam Motion etc that could help pin point the problem you had.

Did you call John Callies? He seems like a very approachable and helpful guy with an awful lot of knowledge, least in my opinion.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 07-06-2015, 12:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser588
You have a set of pushrods but no lifters

Still, looking forward to the results. Who ported and machined your LS7 heads for T&D rockers?

Fraser
No pushrods in hand just paid for already. Once I measure for correct length I just need to let Tony know. I had my heads ported by Tony Mamo and my heads machined locally here in Honolulu.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SHovV
How exact did your lifters fail?
Originally Posted by KiwiKid
Hi Millenium,

I was just about to purchase a set of Morel 6132 mechanical lifters for my 400ci big bore/short stroke LS engine when I noticed your post.

It would be greatly appreciated knowing exactly what failed and some sort of basic analysis of the failure mode. Do you also have some photo's you could share because maybe there are some suitably qualified people on this forum, like Kip at Cam Motion etc that could help pin point the problem you had.

Did you call John Callies? He seems like a very approachable and helpful guy with an awful lot of knowledge, least in my opinion.

Cheers,

Mark
Something in the body failed, the wheel(s) were good and felt smooth, the lifter bore was good and the outer body was pristine but the lifter wouldn't stay pumped up. It allowed too much lash on a intake valve when running which then mushroomed the Ti intake valve.

The shop and I looked at the lifter, externally it looked fine but my guess is that something was wrong in the piston/inner cylinder and allowed it to leak down too fast. Yes, we called Morel/Callies and were told no warranty. After Morel said no warranty, we took it apart and looked at it but there was nothing obvious.

Initially I was just going to replace the bad pair (link bar models) and move on but since you have to pull the heads to replace lifters I saw no need to risk the other 7 pair being OK to save $700 just to have to possibly spend it and more down the road if they did fail.

We put in a new Ti Valve and the new Lunati lifters with the same push rods and the same LS7 trunnion (replaced the one over the bad lifter) upgraded rockers and the valvetrain is dead quiet (LSL lobes) and 1700 miles later, no issues.

I wont use morel again simply for the warranty aspect, I understand that parts fail, I have a problem with $700 lifters failing and there being no re-course.

Last edited by Millenium Z06; 07-06-2015 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

No pushrods in hand just paid for already. Once I measure for correct length
Good, I would go with the thickest wall Manton offers for 3/8" pushrod. .175"? RIP Terry Manton.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:52 PM
9 Second Club

Well its a good thing that OP is going solid lifters
Old 07-06-2015, 02:02 PM
TECH Resident

Solid FTW. And I had the same issue with one of my stock LS7 lifters during my first HCI build. Pulled it apart to swap parts, pulled the stock lifters out and stored them in a small bucket of fresh oil, stabbed the new cam, put the lifters back in and went to measure for PR length, and for somehow one of the lifters failed.

Anyway, what Manton series are you going with Chux?

I'll be getting series 5 3/8 x .120
Old 07-06-2015, 02:39 PM
Teching In

Anyway, what Manton series are you going with Chux?

I'll be getting series 5 3/8 x .120
Im not sure what series but they will be 3/8 x .95. Do you think I should get the thicker wall .120?
Old 07-06-2015, 02:59 PM
TECH Resident

That's a question for Manton. They suggested series 5 3/8 x 0.95 at first, and once I started talking to them more and telling them what my goals were and what I wanted, i.e., to assemble the most stable valvetrain I could afford, then they suggested the .120 wall 3/8 series 5.

They asked what my valvetrain consisted of, rocker brand / material / type, spring pressures, valve materials, stuff like that.

Also, what I've gotten from talking to many cam and valvetrain experts and companies, you want to put the biggest, stiffest pushrod you have room for and can afford, generally speaking.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Roger that. I'll look into it. How's your build coming along?
Old 07-06-2015, 03:56 PM
9 Second Club

I was looking into some 7/16 push rods but haven't called Manton yet. Going with a 8xx lift at 29x duration, was looking to spin around the 8500 rpm range. By the way, sold my set of 5425 so no more pm please

Last edited by M.BOZZ; 07-06-2015 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

Roger that. I'll look into it. How's your build coming along?
Goin pretty good. Hittin the home stretch now. Just need to order headers and pushrods, and a few other small misc. things

Originally Posted by M.BOZZ
I was looking into some 7/16 push rods but haven't called Manton yet. Going with a 8xx lift at 29x duration, was looking to spin around the 8500 rpm range. By the way, the #5425 are off the market
5425 off the market? Who'd you hear that from and what other info do you have about it? Updated design, new part number.....?
Old 07-06-2015, 04:08 PM
9 Second Club

Goin pretty good. Hittin the home stretch now. Just need to order headers and pushrods, and a few other small misc. things

5425 off the market? Who'd you hear that from and what other info do you have about it? Updated design, new part number.....?
Sorry about that, No they are still on the market but just sold mine that's all. I will correct my post
Old 07-06-2015, 04:14 PM
TECH Resident

Oh ok haha
Old 07-06-2015, 04:36 PM
Launching!

Something in the body failed, the wheel(s) were good and felt smooth, the lifter bore was good and the outer body was pristine but the lifter wouldn't stay pumped up. It allowed too much lash on a intake valve when running which then mushroomed the Ti intake valve.

The shop and I looked at the lifter, externally it looked fine but my guess is that something was wrong in the piston/inner cylinder and allowed it to leak down too fast. Yes, we called Morel/Callies and were told no warranty. After Morel said no warranty, we took it apart and looked at it but there was nothing obvious.

Initially I was just going to replace the bad pair (link bar models) and move on but since you have to pull the heads to replace lifters I saw no need to risk the other 7 pair being OK to save $700 just to have to possibly spend it and more down the road if they did fail.

We put in a new Ti Valve and the new Lunati lifters with the same push rods and the same LS7 trunnion (replaced the one over the bad lifter) upgraded rockers and the valvetrain is dead quiet (LSL lobes) and 1700 miles later, no issues.

I wont use morel again simply for the warranty aspect, I understand that parts fail, I have a problem with $700 lifters failing and there being no re-course.
Thanks Millenium,

Good to hear that there was no obvious mechanical failure with your Morel's, as I am not using a hydraulic lifter, at least I don't have to worry about leak-down etc.

As I am also going with the bushed rollers, I am also eliminating the potential needle roller failure.

Cheers,

Mark.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KiwiKid
Thanks Millenium,

Good to hear that there was no obvious mechanical failure with your Morel's, as I am not using a hydraulic lifter, at least I don't have to worry about leak-down etc.

As I am also going with the bushed rollers, I am also eliminating the potential needle roller failure.

Cheers,

Mark.
Yeah, Id have done the CHE bushed rockers vs the BTR trunnion kit had I seen them in time. Still may go to a HS adjustable LS7 RR but I'll wait and see if I go to a LLSR 1st. As to the Lifters, like I said, no warranty is not ok for me. I'd see what Lunati has for a solid roller or what Cam Motion recommends. This stuff is too expensive to buy twice and manuf not stand behind the product.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:10 PM
Launching!

I have a set of Morel 5206 lifters that are noisy as hell at startup. They quiet down considerably after a couple of minutes and perform just fine but, the loudness at startup would preclude me from recommending the 5206. That said, the OP is running solids so hydraulic woes are irrelevant.

As far as Lunati lifters, I've read on more than one site that they are actually made by Morel......

Last edited by FLYZNTN; 07-06-2015 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:13 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Morel manufactures the Lunati lifters you replaced your Morels with.

Quick Reply: Morel lifters