Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

How to replace stock floating rod bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default How to replace stock floating rod bolts?

Sounds silly but how do you replace the stock rod bolts (floating rods) with new stock Rod bolts? The new factory bolts have a sleeve that is positioned between the bolt head and threads. When taking the old bolts out it seems that the sleeves remain in the Rod caps. Soooo, how do you get the sleeves out? Tap out with a punch?

The plan is to assemble the short block, plastigage the mains and rods and then replace the Rod bolts.

The orginal bolts would have been torque cycled 4 times (GM original assembly, tear down and checking at the machine shop, plastigage testing now for rebuild assembly and then final torque) so I figured I'd better replace them!

Any help on how to properly replace the rods bolts would be appreciated!

S.F.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't think I would trust any opinions on something like that, I would get a service
Manuel for something like that or any assembly as far as that goes. Just my .02

Good Luck
Old 08-16-2015, 07:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slogo
I don't think I would trust any opinions on something like that, I would get a service
Manuel for something like that or any assembly as far as that goes. Just my .02

Good Luck

Unfortunately the manual I have for the LQ4/LQ9 doesn't elaborate on bolt replacement at all only torque. I did figure it out by reading ARP instructions and install threads. What you do is unthread the bolt from the lower rod half, then lift the bolt until it catches the sleeve that is stuck in the Rod cap. Once the bolt catches, continue turning counter clockwise while lifting and the bolt will thread itself into the sleeve and you can grab it with pliers and pull the bolt and sleeve free from the cap. The new bolts drop right in and it looks like the sleeve gets swedged inside the rods cap once torqued.

S.F.

Last edited by StolenFox; 08-16-2015 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I am glad you found it, having something to read from the company usually is better info.

Quick Reply: How to replace stock floating rod bolts?