Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Pros/Cons Royal Purple

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 01:46 AM
JGL
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pros/Cons Royal Purple

Hey guys just wondering if should switch to Royal purple if not what to switch too. Got the car handed down from an unfortunate death and want to switch the oil cuz i dont know what was in it.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JGL
Hey guys just wondering if should switch to Royal purple if not what to switch too. Got the car handed down from an unfortunate death and want to switch the oil cuz i dont know what was in it.
You will hear a lot of opinions but I just use Mobil 1 5w30 and you can find it anywhere that sells oil..
Old 09-03-2015, 02:19 AM
JGL
Teching In

very true good point.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Royal Purple is very expensive and can be hard to get at times.

Honestly pretty much any name brand oil will be fine.

Personally I use Castrol Syntec 0w40 which is the "European Formula" made in Germany. It can be found at most parts stores and Wal-Mart here and when it's in an oil change deal is fairly cheap ($32-35 with a good filter and 5 qts).
Old 09-03-2015, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless its the XPR version of RP you're wasting your money. Valvoline VR1 synthetic racing oil is waaay better & same price as store RP.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Royal Purple is just a high end synthetic... Just like every other high end synthetic.

It's biggest downfall is that it isn't free.

I used Mobil 1 in my Cadillac for a couple reasons:
1) it's what the general recommends,
2) the LY7 high feature V6 went through a lot of oil (even with a drilled pcv tube and a rx catch can), so I needed something that I could find everywhere.

A writer for guns and ammo magazine picks his guns based on whether or not the ammunition can be bought anywhere. He calls it the "Two-dot Test" because of a tiny town in Montana, Two-dot. If you can find the ammo in the gas station/store/post office in a backwoods little town, then you can find it anywhere.

Mobil 1 passes the "Two-dot Test".
Old 09-03-2015, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Used to use M1 but it burned off too fast, usually lost at least 1 qt between changes.
RP doesn't burn in my cars and its local to me so I can buy in bulk.

Castrol makes good quality oil, especially the "euro" line of full synthetic.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Royal Purple is a good oil. If you have a reliable vender then there's really no pressing reason to not use it. Same goes for Mobil 1 and Castro Syntec.

It just so happens that I use Penzoil Platnum --->> http://www.walmart.com/ip/14958690?reviews_limit=7& .

KW
Old 09-03-2015, 12:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

penzoil 5w40 ultra
just pulled a 160k mile motor out of one of the cars and it still looks damn near brand new inside, and that was with quite a few 10k mile oil changes, bearings looked perfect also.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DavidBoren
Royal Purple is just a high end synthetic... Just like every other high end synthetic.

It's biggest downfall is that it isn't free.

I used Mobil 1 in my Cadillac for a couple reasons:
1) it's what the general recommends,
2) the LY7 high feature V6 went through a lot of oil (even with a drilled pcv tube and a rx catch can), so I needed something that I could find everywhere.

A writer for guns and ammo magazine picks his guns based on whether or not the ammunition can be bought anywhere. He calls it the "Two-dot Test" because of a tiny town in Montana, Two-dot. If you can find the ammo in the gas station/store/post office in a backwoods little town, then you can find it anywhere.

Mobil 1 passes the "Two-dot Test".
I run either M1 or Castrol 0w40 in my VW & I get it cheap at Walmart like $23-26
Old 09-03-2015, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

Unless someone with a background in petroleum chemistry chimes in with some empirical data, this is all going to be opinion.

High quality synthetic oil is all pretty much the same. You could get 100 success stories for every manufacturer/brand, and for every success story, you could find someone ranting and raving about how bad that exact product sucks.

Use what you can find easily and afford. Or buy in bulk so you don't have to worry about where it's available.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
Unless its the XPR version of RP you're wasting your money. Valvoline VR1 synthetic racing oil is waaay better & same price as store RP.
This, several years back their over the counter oil used to have the additive "synerlec" which is what make RP that exclusive oil you could get for 8 bucks a quart still rated API SL, but ever since they went mainstream and the EPA got on their case their over the counter oil's have been stripped of that additive package and now conform to API SN standards with the lower additive contents, making them no different they any other shelf brand full synthetic. Rotella T6 is the only brand left on store shelves that still conforms to a old standard and contains a higher additive package, API "SM", which is what I use mainly because its the cheapest full synthetic you can find as well and Shell's reputation for turbo diesel oil's is amazing. Subaru guys swear by this stuff as it's great in cars that are heavily abused. If you want the high end RP stuff you have to mail order it through amazon or get it at a "race shop" you wont find it in stores. When I used it it was great stuff, and I recently used their "purple ice" coolant additive and saw a significant drop in coolant temps. Was pleasantly surprised by that.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

I wish I had tried that rotella t6 in my Cadillac. I just ran around Google, hitting up different forums (vw, subi, dodge/cummings to name a few) to get a general qualitative opinion on it.

Wow.

Apparently even Bob the oil guy says the rotella t6 oil is better than royal purple, due to its shear resistance.

I don't know what oil shearing is, but I will Google it later. Probably something really simple like how long it will stretch when poured before it breaks free and forms a drop. But I will look into further.

PS. My phone tries to automatically "correct" the word rotella into foreplay. Lol.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

Well, oil shearing is not as simple as I was thinking.

It's the oil's ability to hold up after being crushed... Essentially. In a perfect world, your crankshaft would never touch the rod bearings because of a layer of oil separating them. When the spark plug ignites a cylinder, throwing the piston towards the crank, the upper rod bearing squashes the layer of oil.

An oil with a higher shear point resists being squeezed out more than one with a lower shear point.

They test this by measuring the viscosity of the oil at a set temperature first. Then they pump it through a gigantic diesel fuel injector to really work the oil. And then they measure the viscosity again. The before and after values are compared, and some formula using the two measurements then gives you that oil's shear point.

Not sure if anyone cared for the explanation, but there you go.

And apparently rotella t6 has a more favorable shear point than royal purple.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

I've heard of it coking up turbos.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

Any of the oils with additives will gunk up your turbos if you have crappy leaking turbo seals. Just like the additives gunk up catalytic converters if your engine drinks oil.

But yes, any oil with a lot of additives will require you to check your turbo bearings regularly... Probably whenever you change your motor oil.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

0-40 is the only really good mobil 1 left anymore and it is really good. Has more wear additives than most M1. Check out the bob is the oil guy forums for way too much info.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I use schaffers 5w40 in everything I drive or race and boom goes the dynamite.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just read a very lengthy independent report on how well different oils protected against wear and Mobile 5w30 synthetic and Valvoline VR1 conventional was very high on the list of 150+ oils tested. Royal Purple was not near the top.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lowcountry
I just read a very lengthy independent report on how well different oils protected against wear and Mobile 5w30 synthetic and Valvoline VR1 conventional was very high on the list of 150+ oils tested. Royal Purple was not near the top.
Please share report, I would like to see it my self.

Quick Reply: Pros/Cons Royal Purple