Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

How to crack the cap on a new LSA rod

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How to crack the cap on a new LSA rod

I just received my new LSA rod from GM Parts Direct and I was thinking I would just install my new piston and put it in my newly honed block. I did not count on the cap not already being cracked and separated from the rod. I have searched for a while for the method to separate the cap from the rod but can't seem to find anything describing how to do it. I was hoping I would not have to take it to a machine shop since every time I take something in it seems like it takes forever to get the part back.
Is there an at home method to do this? Thanks
Old 11-11-2015, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

that seems strange that they would sell them uncracked. I'm thinking that the big end should be machined AFTER it is cracked.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:16 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

It's cracked, you just cant see it and they fit together as close to perfectly as it gets. Clamp the long side into a vice with soft jaw chucks, thread the rod bolts in slightly but not tight ( using them only to keep the cap from falling to the floor and getting damaged ) and tap the lower cap perpendicularly with a mallet, it will separate. It doesnt take much effort

Quick Reply: How to crack the cap on a new LSA rod